Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rnoone
Helper I
Helper I

Dataset in Power BI Service for embedded

Does anyone know if it is possible to use a pbix file that is connected to a dataset published to the power bi service in embedded?

So I have a dataset published to power bi service.

I create another pbix file connecting to the dataset in power bi service.

Will that pbix file work with power bi embedded?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@rnoone wrote:

Does anyone know if it is possible to use a pbix file that is connected to a dataset published to the power bi service in embedded?

Thanks

Generally speaking, if you embed reports witih Power BI Embedded, you can embed any pbix file. However there's no refresh feature and DirectQuery mode only supports Azure SQL Database/Data warehousing.  If you embed the reports published to Power BI Service, any reports in Power BI service can be embedded. 

You don't worry about what is the data source in pbix. By the way, I'm not clear how you create a pbix connecting to the dataset in power bi service, could you be more specific?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@rnoone wrote:

Thanks

Generally speaking, if you embed reports witih Power BI Embedded, you can embed any pbix file. However there's no refresh feature and DirectQuery mode only supports Azure SQL Database/Data warehousing.  If you embed the reports published to Power BI Service, any reports in Power BI service can be embedded. 

You don't worry about what is the data source in pbix. By the way, I'm not clear how you create a pbix connecting to the dataset in power bi service, could you be more specific?

Thanks Eric,

If DirecQuery mode only supports Azure then it won't work for me. The use I was describing was the preview feature of publishing datasets from the desktop so that they can be connected-to by report builders on their desktop.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors