Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PeterPetkov
Frequent Visitor

Data sources shared between workspaces?

Hi,

I'm researching how to integrate power bi in my company's products. So far, the selected approach is using power bi embedded, service principal, azure capacity, and multy-tenancy using workspace-based isolation. 

The report i'm using for tests, have a web api data source with basic authentication. The problem i've noticed is that when i upload the report to two workspaces, instead of getting separate data sources, they points to single data source in the default gataway.

workspace1 -> test report -> dataset1 -> datasource 1

workspace2 -> test report -> dataset2 -> datasource 1

As result i can't set the corresponding datasource credentials for each workspace.

Technical details:

I'm using C# Microsoft.PowerBI.Api, single user with admin access to both workspaces. 

Reports are uploaded through Imports.PostImportWithFileAsync(), then i use Gateways.UpdateDatasourceAsync() to update credentials

I'm i missing a setting somewhere, or i'm on a wrong path at all?

2 REPLIES 2
petrVolfMBI
Regular Visitor

Hi @PeterPetkov,

do you have any progress on this? I am currently facing the same issue.

Yes.
After report is uploaded, i'm creating a new datasource using
UpdateDatasourceConnectionRequest and UpdateDatasourcesRequest classes and calling

client.Datasets.UpdateDatasourcesInGroupAsync(workspaceId, datasetId, updateDatasourceRequest);

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.