Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data Gateway Personal Mode | Failed to Update Data Source Credentials | Status Code 400

Hi All,

I am using Data Gateway (Personal Mode) in one of our On-Prem Windows Server runnning SQL SERVER 2014
The Data Gateway can be seen Up and Running in Power BI Service 

MaazKhan_0-1662126456164.png

Whenever I setup the credentials I get below error

When I pass the incorrect credentials it returns the same error, so actually error is returned even before authentication takes place

MaazKhan_1-1662125916639.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

On a Windows Server you should set up the Enterprise/Standard gateway, not the Personal Gateway.

Check your Proxy settings and make sure the gateway can successfully communicate with the Azure backend.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

This has been resolved - It was actually a Network Issue pertains to NAT Loopback.

The network I have been working on does not support NAT Loopback - Data Gateway and SQL Server was installed on same network servers and I have been trying to connect the Data Gateway with SQL Server using Public IP rather than local IP - As I mentioned NAT Loopback was not enabled therefore Data Gateway was not able to access the SQL Server with Public IP. When it was setup using Local IP, it worked 

Moreover, It is working with Personal Gateway too

MaazKhan_0-1663659733368.png

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

would you mind showing a sanitized version of your connection string?  It needs to end with ,8004  not with :8004

Anonymous
Not applicable

Standard Data Gateway installed and is up and running on my Power BI Service 

But still I am unable to update my database crendentials and getting below error

Please note that

• SQL Server is on Port 8004 
  • Data Gateway is configured using official domain Id which requires MFA for logins

MaazKhan_1-1663104226085.png

Data Gateway is configured using official domain Id 

what  made you choose that?  Using the default service login is the safest and most robust option.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I cant find any option to configure Standard Data Gateway other than email id

MaazKhan_0-1663149498461.png

Ah, sorry - that is fine  (and will work with MFA). This step is not actually required for the gateway to function.

I was thinking of the gateway service (which is crucial to be running) that usually should run under the default service login.

You are getting an error 400 which might be pointing to a resource mismatch on your data source. Can you create another connection against a different SQL data source and see if you can reproduce the issue?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried connecting the different data base creating an entirely different report then published it but all in vain then I tried publishing it on a different workspace it didn't work

I think the error I am recieving could be related to SQL Server Browser - Please see below that SQL Server Browser is running with "Local Service", is it the right configuration for Data Gateway Connection ? 

MaazKhan_0-1663244833408.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, I noticed that on SQL Server Folder We don't have any permission for user "PgiEgwService" - Can this be an issue 

MaazKhan_0-1663326827789.png

These two settings should not have an impact.

Do you have the option of uninstalling and reinstalling the gateway software?  You would choose the "Recover a gateway"  option when you launch the admin tool. This is also a great opportunity to test your recovery key.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tried uninstalling and installing the gateway several times - tried recovering the existing gateway and it was successful but still the same error occurs everytime on Power BI Service

In logs of data gateway there is a file FailedFileNames.txt

C:\Users\PBIEgwService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\On-premises data gateway\GatewayErrors20220916.000000000.log,
C:\Users\PBIEgwService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\On-premises data gateway\GatewayInfo20220916.000000000.log,
C:\Users\PBIEgwService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\On-premises data gateway\GatewayNetwork20220916.000000000.log,
C:\Users\PBIEgwService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\On-premises data gateway\SapAdapter20220916.000000000.log,
C:\Users\chms03\AppData\Local\Microsoft\On-premises data gateway\GatewayConfigurator20220916.000000000.log

Opening the first file GatewayErrors20220916.000000000.log

I can see this error

" A network-related or instance-specific error occurred.."

Anonymous
Not applicable

This has been resolved - It was actually a Network Issue pertains to NAT Loopback.

The network I have been working on does not support NAT Loopback - Data Gateway and SQL Server was installed on same network servers and I have been trying to connect the Data Gateway with SQL Server using Public IP rather than local IP - As I mentioned NAT Loopback was not enabled therefore Data Gateway was not able to access the SQL Server with Public IP. When it was setup using Local IP, it worked 

Moreover, It is working with Personal Gateway too

MaazKhan_0-1663659733368.png

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

On a Windows Server you should set up the Enterprise/Standard gateway, not the Personal Gateway.

Check your Proxy settings and make sure the gateway can successfully communicate with the Azure backend.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.