Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data Gateway Automation Powershell Scripts and Limitations

I would like to Automate installation and updates of my PBI Data Gateway Clusters. I have clusters for multiple development environments standing on top of AWS AMI's that are updated quarterly by our Security team. I would like to create  Powershell User Data (start up) Scripts to install these gateway clusters on new servers after the security team performs their updates. From my current understanding of the API's available, you can only install new gateways, but not recover existing gateways from one machine to a new one? Additionally, you cannot attach a gateway to an existing cluster? Is this API usable for me if it's exclusively for installing new gateways? Could you elaborate on the limitations of this API, how I might use this, and when you expect updates to happen? 

The blog post has the limitations as of May 2020, has anything been added since then? 

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Additionally, is there any way to accomplish a multi node cluster using automation? I haven't seen this in the REST APIs 

Anonymous
Not applicable

So then I would have to redeploy / attach all my datasets into the new gateway? is there a way to programmatically clean up / delete the old gateways, or would I be accumulating gateway options in the PBI Console that I would have to manually delete? 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You pipe a GetDataSource into a CreateDataSource. For each datasource on the old gateway.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am using a VPN that is storing all our data that PBI needs access to in AWS. I am not then redirecting the traffic to an actual "on prem" datastore. Is this not the appropriate setup for a VPN that has my datastore? 

In regards to my initial question, that API set does not seem to include a way to recover an existing gateway on a new server. Does this API live elsewhere, or is there a different API I should use to handle this flow I am describing? 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

While these limitations have been lifted (*) I have a serious concern with you putting the gateways on AWS. The whole idea of gateways is to be on premise, close to the on premise data sources.  Putting the gateway on some sort of cloud VPN will create enormously wasteful network traffic and horrific performance. I would not want to see that traffic diagram...

Gateways (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Docs

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.