Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dashboard tiles not updating

I've seen numerous postings on this issue and even a couple that say "Solved!", but it is not so.

I have an existing report that is up-to-date and good to go, but I have several dashboard tiles that are built from this report that haven't updated to reflect the change in the data. I've tried a few different solutions, closing down my browser / logging out, etc. but they haven't helped.

This error also appears on the dashboard app on the iPad as well.

Very frustrating.

7 REPLIES 7

@Anonymous Do they remain stagnant even after you click on the elipses in the upper right hand corner of the dashboard page and select "Refresh dashboard tiles"?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Seth_C_Bauer, I'm a fan. Thanks for the quick reply. And, yes, they remain stagnant after clicking the Refresh Dashboard Tiles.

One other thing that I will mention and it is only because I have seen people tripped up by it, are you 100% certain that the filters in place for the visualization at the time the tile was pinned aren't effectively preventing it from updating? In other words, the dashboard tile is actually correct because of the filters that were in place when it was pinned.

I only mention it because that is a common issue.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

So does this mean that users cannot change the filters and see that change reflected in their dashboard without re-pinning it with the new filter?

I think this is the issue. That's what the PBI folks were saying in other posts, that the dashboard tiles are static at the time they are pinned. This makes the whole concept absolutely useless in my opinion. So when an exec opens their PowerBI app on their phone they may see data that was pinned 2 months ago because the "dynamic" dashboard is in fact a glorified powerpoint slide..

The use cases the PBI folks noted was that you can run 5 different views on the same visual and pin these without having to create 5 versions of the same visual which I think is absolutely ridiculous. Why not just have an option to say "do not refresh" or "keep static" on a dashboard tile vs. crippling the whole functionality of the tool?

Real world use case: management pulls out phone in a meeting to glance at the latest numbers via the dashboard tiles. Now they are depending on hiring someone to repin and recreate a dashboard ever day or hourly.

This is an issue, not a feature! It needs to be fixed.

This is still an issue 1 year later. The comment about the glorified powerpoint is spot on.

I think the tiles should always dynamically refresh and have a setting where they cannot - or vice versa - but users need to be able to rely on the fact that the data is up-to-date when their management overlords look at their phones.

@Anonymous These random issues are tough to resolve.. as sometimes there isn't anything that can be done on the user side. Maybe try adding a new tile from the report to the dashboard to "force" a refresh of the other tiles? (purely a suggestion, I don't know if it would work.)

Other than that, the only thing I can say is check back after awhile - but even then there have been cases where nothing updates.

(As I'm sure you are aware, the official statement is that it takes at least 15 minutes for tiles to update after the report).

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.