Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

devbv
Frequent Visitor

DMTS_MonikerNotFoundError

When we attempt to GenerateToken using PowerBI API v2 to get hold of an embed token in an RLS/App Owns Data scenario, we are getting back the following response:

{"error":{"code":"DMTS_MonikerNotFoundError","pbi.error":{"code":"DMTS_MonikerNotFoundError","parameters":{},"details":[]}}}

Has anyone dealt with this before and know what could be wrong or how to understand more, i.e., is there somewhere in Power BI where I can see the logs and what is going on here, and what does DMTS stand for?

I pass in a JSON object as below to the `GenerateToken` call:

{
    "accessLevel": "View",
    "datasetId": "xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx",
    "identities": [
        {
            "username": "userx@mydomain.com",
            "datasets": [
                "xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx"
            ]
        }
    ]
}

Another observation is that, if I pass in the master account (the user who we connect to Azure as, while embedding) instead of `userx@mydomain.com`, then the same code works fine and we get an embed token.

In the sample app, this outputs the following error:

Operation returned an invalid status code 'NotFound'<r><r> 
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Api.V2.Reports.<GenerateTokenInGroupWithHttpMessagesAsync>d__16.MoveNext() 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
devbv
Frequent Visitor

In case this helps anyone else. I now have a better understanding of the issue above.

The root of the issue seems to have been that for the Dataset that was being passed in to the API request, the owner was the publisher of the report (which it support) and it wasn't the master account.

Once the master account took over ownership (you can do this from the Power BI portal > Select your Workspace > Datasets > On the Dataset of interest, go to Settings > Take over), the embed token was issued correctly.

The effective user name that is being passed in does not seem to have any role to play until, the embed token is used to render the report.

Note: I still don't know what DMTS means, but the issue is now resolved.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Robbe
Regular Visitor

Hi,

Ive been working with Azure Logic apps for a while now and never had issues, but now I seem to get the following error when exporting a Power BI Report to PDF : 

{
    "statusCode": 404,
    "headers": {
        "Pragma": "no-cache",
        "Strict-Transport-Security": "max-age=31536000; includeSubDomains",
        "X-Frame-Options": "deny",
        "X-Content-Type-Options": "nosniff",
        "RequestId": "ab265116-422c-4108-b79a-8f444d74290f",
        "Access-Control-Expose-Headers": "RequestId",
        "Timing-Allow-Origin": "*",
        "x-ms-apihub-cached-response": "true",
        "x-ms-apihub-obo": "false",
        "Cache-Control": "no-store, must-revalidate, no-cache",
        "Date": "Wed, 09 Nov 2022 23:08:48 GMT",
        "Content-Length": "386",
        "Content-Type": "application/json"
    },
    "body": {
        "error": {
            "code": "DMTS_MonikerNotFoundError",
            "pbi.error": {
                "details": [
                    {
                        "detail": {
                            "type": 1,
                            "value": "cb5e2933-4cf9-43a4-a69d-8d2ac3da2bcc"
                        }
                    }
                ],
                "exceptionCulprit": 1
            }
        }
    }
}

Exporting Paginated reports to PDF or running DAX Queries on the linked dataset does not give any issues.

Cannot seem to find any other info on this error except this post.

I dont think known issue in this post is related to my issue. 

Any idea what else this could be ? 

Robbe

Hi @Robbe ,

I can't tell for sure why you get this error, but it seems related to the data sources settings.

I would try to see if everything seems to be set correctly in the dataset settings page in Power BI portal. 

Maybe try to refresh the data in the dataset and see that it works as expected.

Hi,

For future reference to other people.

I was doing an API Call in my dataset, not using "RelativePath". The below article helped me: 

Setting a scheduled refresh on a Dynamic Data Source in Power BI | by dataninja | DataDrivenInvestor

It seems like your dataset needs to be "Refreshable" but not nessesarily authenticated to be refreshed. 
Seems like this could be optimized, as I dont really see a difference. 

Robbe

Hi,

Thank you for the fast reply. This error seems to be there for over 5 years and we still have no idea what it is? 😕 
My dataset contains all import datasources, so I dont see why this should impact an export to PDF?
Like I mentionned, connecting with paginated reports or running a daxquery on hte exact same dataset is not an issue...

Robbe

devbv
Frequent Visitor

In case this helps anyone else. I now have a better understanding of the issue above.

The root of the issue seems to have been that for the Dataset that was being passed in to the API request, the owner was the publisher of the report (which it support) and it wasn't the master account.

Once the master account took over ownership (you can do this from the Power BI portal > Select your Workspace > Datasets > On the Dataset of interest, go to Settings > Take over), the embed token was issued correctly.

The effective user name that is being passed in does not seem to have any role to play until, the embed token is used to render the report.

Note: I still don't know what DMTS means, but the issue is now resolved.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.