Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

anmsharma
Helper II
Helper II

DIfference between Power BI Embedded and Report Integration with IFrame

Hi,

Can someone explain the difference between Power BI Embedded where I can embed the reports in my own web application.

And what's the difference if I will do that using Integrate a report into an App.

: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-developer-integrate-report/

The requirement I have is to share the reports from Power BI with a set of 1000 users based on their roles.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tringuyenminh92
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @anmsharma,

As my understand, you are mentioning about PBI Embeded (using js/c#) and IFRAME of Public to web feature? Basically, they are same uses that returns iframe to embed. But

Iframe from Public to web

• Public to web: manually
  • Token expiration to view:  none (just remove embed from Manage Embed code panel)
  • None security  - everyone has same permission with data
  • Managed in PBI service
  • Support both of DQ & Import mode of reports
  • Free - No cost

Iframe from api of PBI embeded

• Using code to embed (automatically)
  • Support direct query mode so far
  • Has expiration (default 15-20') and could be extended by c#
  • Permission by RLS (if available) (DAX handling in report layer for database source or user roles in SSAS source) or user group of tenants
  • Could embed tiles separately report
  • Managed in Azure PBI workspace collection by using azure portal, cli command, js and C# code
  • Charge embeded fee by "session"

if amount of roles is not large (e.g 10 roles of 1000 users), you could do workaround solution with "Public to web" by clone pbix file to 10 files and set the filter for data in Query Editor, so you have 10 different iframes and using if/else in your app to show them by role of users.

On the other hand, you could implement RLS in PBI Embeded as mentioned above

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
tringuyenminh92
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @anmsharma,

As my understand, you are mentioning about PBI Embeded (using js/c#) and IFRAME of Public to web feature? Basically, they are same uses that returns iframe to embed. But

Iframe from Public to web

• Public to web: manually
  • Token expiration to view:  none (just remove embed from Manage Embed code panel)
  • None security  - everyone has same permission with data
  • Managed in PBI service
  • Support both of DQ & Import mode of reports
  • Free - No cost

Iframe from api of PBI embeded

• Using code to embed (automatically)
  • Support direct query mode so far
  • Has expiration (default 15-20') and could be extended by c#
  • Permission by RLS (if available) (DAX handling in report layer for database source or user roles in SSAS source) or user group of tenants
  • Could embed tiles separately report
  • Managed in Azure PBI workspace collection by using azure portal, cli command, js and C# code
  • Charge embeded fee by "session"

if amount of roles is not large (e.g 10 roles of 1000 users), you could do workaround solution with "Public to web" by clone pbix file to 10 files and set the filter for data in Query Editor, so you have 10 different iframes and using if/else in your app to show them by role of users.

On the other hand, you could implement RLS in PBI Embeded as mentioned above

Hi @tringuyenminh92,

Thanks a lot for your detailed explanation.

What I understood is that if there's a limitation of cost and less roles are present we can have the https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-developer-integrate-report/ using C#.

If we want  a solution with proper RLS and all we can go with Power BI Embedded.

I have a small question, the report in Public to Web will be embedded in my own application and would be interactive as the normal reports?

Thanks again.

Hi @anmsharma,

yes, it would be interactive as normal reports that you are viewing in report area in PBI Service. there is one more limitation about iframe size, it's fixed so you could not adjust to full width of your html view (but there is fullscreen mode of report as workaround solution)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.