Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

flennon
Frequent Visitor

DAX Measure with REST API dataset

I've created a Push streaming dataset, and I'm trying to combine two of the columns (Strings) into a new measure. I've looked up the syntax which displays the following:correctSyntaxDax.JPG

When I try it shows an error. This syntax works correctly when I'm connecting to a database, but shows an error with the streaming dataset. I'd say that it just wasnt possible to create a measure for a streaming dataset, but it gives you the option to create one, when it doesnt give you the option to create a custom column. Can anyone advise on what I can do?

errorSyntaxDax.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Measures I found needed an aggregate applied to them. 

I wanted to combine the two strings so that both values would appear on the X-axis of a chart as I thought before it would only display one value or the other. This was resolved by selecting the view 'At Lowest Level of Data' as seen below. Thanks for the help.

delme.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @flennon,

That's a common error in a measure. That's because a value of these column can't be determined. Please try it like below.

=concatenate(min('products'[Product abbreviation]), min('products'[Product number]))

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the reply Dale.

I had copied the syntax from the MSDN Docs here

I attempted to add in the min() to the formula but the values I'm trying to concatenate are strings. It did not give a syntax error but the formula does not display any values as shown below. Any further advice would be greatly appreciated. 

minError.JPG

Hi @flennon,

How about adding the measure in the table, the right one in your snapshot? Or you can change the left visual into a Card visual. Your old formula can work in a calculated column that isn't supported in your scenario.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Measures I found needed an aggregate applied to them. 

I wanted to combine the two strings so that both values would appear on the X-axis of a chart as I thought before it would only display one value or the other. This was resolved by selecting the view 'At Lowest Level of Data' as seen below. Thanks for the help.

delme.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.