Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

minimynt
Frequent Visitor

DAX Last Year Sales

Hi,

I want to create LY Sales calculation, but somehow there's something wrong with the result.

The total of LY Sales is right, but I don't have any idea why LY sales for each year is not showing.

Untitled.png

Here is my formula

LY Sales = CALCULATE([Total Sales], DATEADD(Orders[Order Date],-1,YEAR))

Does anybody know why? 😞

Thanks,

Priscilla

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
jat75
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hello, try this instead: LY Sales = CALCULATE([Total Sales], SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('Orders'[Order Date]))

If you have a dedicated date table, you'll want to use the date column from there instead of Order Date

View solution in original post

@jat75 Hi, I've also tried with SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR but the result is the same. However, I just figured out that only continuous date is valid for this case and my OrderDate isn't continuous so that's why.

Thanks anyway! 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
sure19
Helper II
Helper II

Hi,

first i have filtered year, then inserted region and sales, when i try to use the above to calculate last year sales, it gives me blank.  is it because i have already filtered the year?  how can i still show last year sales against this year sales?

thanks in advance

Suresh

vicks
Frequent Visitor

Hi Suresh;

Did you solved your problem?, i have same issue about that, the formula didnt worked when i filtered by Year;

i have single fact table with sales measure, person dimension, Year, Month, Date(dateSQL) Dimension;

warm regards;

Opik

Is your date column continuous? If you're using a seperate date table, did you create the relationship using 2 fields with a Date data type?

jat75
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hello, try this instead: LY Sales = CALCULATE([Total Sales], SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('Orders'[Order Date]))

If you have a dedicated date table, you'll want to use the date column from there instead of Order Date

@jat75 Hi, I've also tried with SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR but the result is the same. However, I just figured out that only continuous date is valid for this case and my OrderDate isn't continuous so that's why.

Thanks anyway! 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Guys, 

I know it's quite irritating to get the prior year meaures. I tried looking everywhere left with no choice than to try all by myself. Please find the solution below 

LY Sales = CALCULATE([Total Sales],Calender[Year] = YEAR(TODAY()) - 1)

Total Sales = Your measure 
Calender = Your date table
I am just subtracting 1 from the current years number in this expression YEAR(TODAY()) - 1). 
Please accept it as a solution if it resolved your issue

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors