Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Ballard-Atkins
Frequent Visitor

Custom visuals not displaying

To begin, I have PBI Desktop version 2.42 64-bit, and cannot get the latest version (company policies, slow beaurocracy...). We are not using the Web version at all.

All of this works on my home computer, where I can install 2.46 64-bit, so I am very aware it could be a version compatibility issue. If that is the case, I'd like to confirm it so I can put some pressure on IT to do their jobs.

I'm attempting to modify the Gantt chart so that it scales with the display width, rather than by a fixed amount based on date type (day/week/month/year). I was able to islolate where this occurs in the code and change it, and I get the result (still need to refine it) I am looking for on my home computer. When I copy that same visual to my work computer and load it with the same data, I get the blank visual. I have changed the name of the visual, as well as the guid. I've closed and re-opened PBI, I've started from a fresh PBI dashboard that doesn't even know about the original Gantt chart. 

The ONLY difference between the two datasets in the images below is that the work one is using minutes in the duration field, whereas the home version has it normalized to days. The visual just sees numbers here, so the only effect it has is to multiply the duration by 1440 (1440 minutes in a day). As demonstrated, the visual was compiled/packaged on my home computer, I am not entirely confident I was able to get the development environment set up correctly on my work computer, again due to IT restrictions. Hard to tell with these results.

Gantt Modified at workGantt Modified at workGantt Modified at home (middle visual)Gantt Modified at home (middle visual)

In the Home version, the Gantt Modified is scaled to the visual width, though not entirely correctly; I am not concerned with this at the moment, just with getting it to actually display at all on my work computer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

PBI Desktop 2.42 doesn't support API 1.6.0.

I'd recomend that you to force IT department to update Power BI Desktop (June release is comming soon).

Another option is to decrease API version to 1.3.0. However, it might produce some issues.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
AndreyS
Frequent Visitor

Hello, i have the same issue, any custom visuals don't display inside my report on the Power BI Report Server

How to fix this issue?

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

What csutom visuals do you use?

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi I am ecountering the similar issue, but I have the most updated powerbi desktop so I guess the API version is not the reason.

I have tried all the approches but the blank version stays no change. Hope someone can figure out which step I did was wrong, really really appreciate it.

My problem is stated in the link below

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Developer/Power-bi-custom-visual-Blank-after-cloning-from-GitHub-Re...

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @Ballard-Atkins

I suppose that it's comatibility issue due to using the old version of Power BI Desktop.

PBI Desktop 2.42 doesn't support some API versions.

Which API version is specified in pbiviz.json in your fork of Gantt Chart?

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

1.6.0, straight from Github. 

package.json has the following:

"dependencies": {
"d3": "3.5.5",
"globalize": "0.1.0-a2",
"jquery": "3.1.1",
"lodash": "4.16.2",
"powerbi-visuals-utils-chartutils": "0.2.1",
"powerbi-visuals-utils-colorutils": "0.2.2",
"powerbi-visuals-utils-dataviewutils": "1.1.1",
"powerbi-visuals-utils-formattingutils": "1.0.0",
"powerbi-visuals-utils-interactivityutils": "0.3.1",
"powerbi-visuals-utils-svgutils": "0.2.1",
"powerbi-visuals-utils-tooltiputils": "0.3.2",
"powerbi-visuals-utils-typeutils": "1.0.0"
},
"devDependencies": {
"@types/d3": "3.5.38",
"@types/jasmine": "2.5.47",
"@types/jasmine-jquery": "1.5.30",
"@types/jquery": "2.0.41",
"@types/lodash": "4.14.55",
"coveralls": "2.13.0",
"jasmine": "2.5.3",
"jasmine-jquery": "2.1.1",
"karma": "1.6.0",
"karma-chrome-launcher": "2.0.0",
"karma-coverage": "1.1.1",
"karma-jasmine": "1.1.0",
"karma-remap-istanbul": "0.6.0",
"karma-sourcemap-loader": "0.3.7",
"karma-typescript-preprocessor": "0.3.1",
"powerbi-visuals-tools": "1.6.3",
"powerbi-visuals-utils-testutils": "1.0.0",
"tslint": "4.5.1",
"tslint-microsoft-contrib": "4.0.1",
"typescript": "2.1.4"

PBI Desktop 2.42 doesn't support API 1.6.0.

I'd recomend that you to force IT department to update Power BI Desktop (June release is comming soon).

Another option is to decrease API version to 1.3.0. However, it might produce some issues.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Changing to API 1.3.0 seems to take care of it, thanks!

I'll try to request IT get us the latest version, but it's been over 5 months for them to update the main software I use, so I don't expect anything.

KumarDarmesh
Helper IV
Helper IV

@Ballard-Atkins wrote:

To begin, I have PBI Desktop version 2.42 64-bit, and cannot get the latest version (company policies, slow beaurocracy...). We are not using the Web version at all.

All of this works on my home computer, where I can install 2.46 64-bit, so I am very aware it could be a version compatibility issue. If that is the case, I'd like to confirm it so I can put some pressure on IT to do their jobs.

If you've already found the reason, then you fix it.

That's very unhelpful, as you didn't answer anything. As I stated in the passage you quoted, I am unable to upgrade to the latest version at work; I have no way of confirming this myself.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.