Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

satishr
Helper III
Helper III

Custom visual tool-tips for line chart

I'm creating a custom visual which has a line chart with multiple lines. How to create the tool-tip similar to power bi native line chart? I have created simple tool-tips for bar charts but couldn't create one for a line chart. Also, the tool-tips doesn't seem to work if the bars in the bar chart is overlapping (bar-in-bar chart). I can share my code if required.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

If you need to show a tooltip for dots you should render the dots first.

Please used d3.data method to bind data to each dot. Each data point must contain tooltip data that you want to show.

After that you need call addTooltip as you do in the code but the first argument must represent d3.selection for dots.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

We don't have any sample custom visual that implements tooltip for line chart.

It seams you should detect cursor position and get data that is related to mouse position. After that, you should send data to Tooltip API.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Thanks for your reply @v-viig. I understand that the tool-tips in the native line chart are quite advanced. I will be happy with simple tool-tips which shows on hovering the dots which connects the lines in the line chart. Can you help me with that? I have shared my code with you

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

If you need to show a tooltip for dots you should render the dots first.

Please used d3.data method to bind data to each dot. Each data point must contain tooltip data that you want to show.

After that you need call addTooltip as you do in the code but the first argument must represent d3.selection for dots.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any chance somebody can share some up to date code examples of a basic tooltip (i.e. looks like native Power BI) for a custom visual dot chart?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.