Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

danjdo
Frequent Visitor

Custom visual numeric input box?

Is there a way to have a numeric box that users can enter a value into that will be added to other values?

We will be displaying data grouped by month, and we would like to have a field that they can enter a numeric value into that will adjust the monthly value. 

I searched the forums and couldn't see anything like this?

7 REPLIES 7
ZachMascetta
Regular Visitor

Under the Modeling ribbon, there is a feature called a "What If Parameter". This will allow your users to input a number of custom values into the report, including whole numbers, decimal numbers, date/time, and TRUE/FALSE. It also creates a variable that you can utilize in other areas across Power BI. This variable allows you to utilize the user input value in measures, as fields/filters for visuals, etc.

Click on "New Parameter" and a dialogue box will open up that allows you to customize your parameter. Additionally, once you've added the parameter to your report, you can click on the "Parameter" field and it will display some additional formatting/property options in the Modling ribbon. 

Let me know if this works for your report and if you need any additional help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi 
I have just made the custom input slicer using "What if Parameter" for user input. My range in this is 1 to 35000. But when i am typing for example 5000 and entering it, it take 4996. Or may be 1000 then it taken value 993 or entered 10000 then it only comes to 9991. What can be the issue? How can I solve this minor error? 

I am calculating the ROI so minor fluctuation can add to big problem. 

Kindly revert. 

Thank you

Hello.

Were you able to solve this issue? I have the same problem.

Thank you

Hi @irmarymorales,

Parameters can only contain 1,000 unique values in their range. Power BI will generate its own evenly sampled intervals to fit within the constraint if too many intervals exist. The solution, as per the linked document, is to use a suitable interval value that ensures that Power BI does not need to do this.

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Yes, there is. There are two options:

1. Use HTML input element
  2. Use Format Panel

Let me know if you have any furhter questions.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

Hi @v-viig 
You mentioned Use HTML input element. How to do that? And also I am not getting the second option either. Can you help?

Hi there! 

A few years later, are there any other options available yet? I also tried to alter the parameter

GENERATESERIES with measures ([costprice -100] and [costprice +100] to reduce the range and keep it under 1000 values, but it did not return the correct costprice values. Does anybody have new ideas to have a numeric input field? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.