Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Jonas1
Helper I
Helper I

Custom connector to API using Python/JavaScript?

Hi, 

I am currentely trying to connect to an API using OAuth2, so I figured I try out Power Query SDK and custom data connectors. However, is this possible no matter what programming language the API requires?

I am trying to obtain the API token which contains three steps: 

. Obtaining the API token contains 3 steps:

1. Get Challenge (startlogin probably)
  2. Create Challenge Response (finishlogin?) à and this is where I find it confusing
    • The source code for this step is given in multiple languages, but none of them are json or xml, is it still possible to do everything in Power Query SDK?
    • Here is the code which should create a challe response from Secret key and challenge:image.png
  1. Get Token (still finishlogin)

The response in both step 1 and 3 is in application/json format, while step 2 do not give a response in itself. So I am not quite sure what to do with step 2, is one of these programming languages mandatory or just suggested?

3 REPLIES 3
wes2015
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Jonas1 , did you manage to get the connector to work?

I'm also working with the scania API and im stuck, can you give any hints on how to proceed?

Thanks

Wes

ananeto

Not sure if this helps, but have you considered getting a ready made connector instead of building one from scratch? 

When building a connector from scratch, besides all the hard work getting it to work in the first place, there can a significant maintenance effort every time the API changes... 

Why don't you check an out-of-the-box solution like  https://www.connecting-software.com/connect-bridge/ maybe they have the connector you need? And then you can link to it from Python, no problem.

Hi @ananeto ,

I resolved this by setting it up myself in Python. They have designated libraries to connect to APIs and there are lots of forums/blogs that can solve the problems that arrives, so highly recommend it! I have already connected to several APIs and I thinks this is a valuable skill to have. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.