Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

henbri99

Custom connector data refresh without gateway?

Hi, we are developing a custom connector between a cloudbased service (with SQL Server DBs for the data) and Power BI.

The mez-file (connector) works fine in Desktop when refreshing the data. However, we cannot seem to get it to work in powerbi.com when we want to schedule refresh. One guy claims that we need to use a gateway for custom connectors, true? This would be less elegant and more prone to disturbances and maintenance. 

Out of the box in Power BI we find connectors between cloud based services that work fine to schedule without gateways (for ex Zendesk). Isn't it possible to develop a similar for our cloud based service, avoiding the need for a gateway wrt data refresh?

--

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-custom-connectors 

When you build reports in Power BI Desktop that use custom data connectors, you can use the on-premises data gateway to refresh those reports from the Power BI service.

6 REPLIES 6
stijnwingens

I have the same issue and find that the documentation on this is very meager. Did you get in touch with Microsoft or anyone else?

Hi!

Sorry for late response. No, we never got that far. We used the ODATA-connector for our needs eventually. Br/Henrik

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi had an idea for a solution where the .mez files could be stored in one drive. https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=400e730a-75b0-ec11-826e-281878de77da

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

For a true custom connector you need a gateway. You would need to get your connector accepted as an official third party connector to be included in the product.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler  Does this mean the Gateway/Power BI Service Refresh resources will be utilized for the Custom Connector Refresh? Or does the custom connector need a Gateway only for the initial handshake? We are trying to use live refresh as we get for Online data sources and would not want the data to come from our cloud source to On-Premise and then back again to the Service. Please advise.

@Anonymous - I can't talk specifics on that, I suggest you track down the folks at Microsoft responsible for third-party connectors, there used to be a program for it that you could enroll in.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors