cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cmn Member

Re: Custom Visuals Sandbox is coming - Here's what you need to know

@bashirs : You mentioned that there would be a temporary flag to disable sandboxing.  Is this available?  My custom visuals are not working and I don't know how to fix them.  I need help ASAP.

bashirs Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi Cmn,

There is a feature flag to disable sandboxing of custom visuals. It is triggered by adding a query string to the end of your URL. Ex:

www.app.powerbi.com?sandboxVisualsEnabled=false

We are of course always hard at work to improve the experience for developers while also offering the highest level of security for end users. We are hard at work to resolve any reported issues and appreciate your assistance and patience.

Thanks,

Bashir

----------------------------------
Microsoft Employee on PowerBi Platform Team
bashirs Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi mplus,

Thank you for reporting this. We have resolved this issue and it is making its' way to production soon.

Thank you for reporting this,

Bashir

bashirs Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi jdrake,

The getViewMode method fix has been implemented and will make it to production soon.

Thank you for reporting this,

Bashir

cmn Member

@bashirs, 2 problems with this approach - I can't expect all of our users to add that to the URL everytime, and more importantly, the main problem I have is with mobile apps - our custom visuals are not rendering at all on mobile.  This feature flag will not work with mobile.

Is it possible to get some concrete feedback?  Am I right in assuming that this sandbox change was deployed within the last 24 hours?  For situations like mine, how do I go about trying to find out what the problem is, and how to resolve it?

These are production reports that have been rolled out to various regional MD's within the last couple of weeks, and they are no longer working.

bashirs Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi cmn,

The sandbox feature has been rolling out to the various clusters over the last few days. If you are having any troubles with sandbox you can send us any error information and we can either share any work arounds or author fixes.

There are a few steps that can be taken for debugging and testing. A lot of it depends on the nature of what is "not working". If the visual is not rendering anything at all that would be different than a visual which is rendering but not reacting properly to a mouse event for example. The first thing I always look for are errors in the browser console log. If there are any error messages there or stack traces that can help identify any issues.

Can you please elaborate in more detail what is not working?

Thanks,

Bashir

cmn Member

Hi Bashir,

Thanks for helping.  Here is my situation...

We have customised the Linear Gauge visualisation from the power bi visuals gallery.  We had to customise it because it is buggy and has major formatting issues.  This was working perfectly until yesterday, on both the web site, iOS app and Android app.  As of yesterday, we are experiencing the following:

1) When displayed on a dashboard on the web site, we are seeing very slow redering times - anywhere from 5 seconds to 30 seconds.  While annoying we can live with that in the short term.

2) Similar story when we drill down into a report.

3) When a dashboard is viewed in either the iOS or Android app, the gauge is never displayed.  It just shows the grey power bi logo.

4) When I drill down into a report on iOS (not sure about android), it does not display there either - it is simply a blank tile.

As well as this customised linear gauge, we also also using the CardsWithState viz (out of the box, not customised), and this behaves differently.  It works fine in all scenarios except for #4 above.  When a report is viewed on iOS, it does not render either.

As these issues are all mobile device related, I can't check for errors in the browser console log.

If you need any more details, let me know.

Thanks again for the help.

jdrake Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

@bashirs Thanks! When the fix gets deployed to production will there be an announcement?

bashirs Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

We typically do not do a blog post or anything like that for fixes but if you want I can try to send you a message on the forums when it reaches production. I will let a reminder on my calendar.

jdrake Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

@bashirs I just tried adding ?sandboxVisualsEnabled=0 and ?sandboxVisualsEnabled=false to the url and refreshing but my visualization is still in a sandboxed iframe. 

Also, I had click handlers inside my visualization that are now not working. They work fine in the power bi dev tools...