cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bashirs Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Custom Visuals Sandbox is coming - Here's what you need to know

It looks like there is a mismatch in the feature flags when we changed the name from "sandboxVisualsDisabled" to "sandboxVisualsEnabled". The name change is already in the pipeline but isn't all the way through yet. For now it works if you specify both flag names:

?sandboxVisualsEnabled=false&sandboxVisualsDisabled=true

I am sorry for the confusion. Soon this will no longer be necessary.

Take care,

Bashir

----------------------------------
Microsoft Employee on PowerBi Platform Team
cmn Member

@bashirs, I provided more details of my problem as requested yesterday.  Have you have a chance to have look?

What would be great would be an example of how to change a visual that does not work.  I believe that the visuals from the gallery are not being sandboxed?  Would it be possible to show us an example of how to fix one of these if they were being sandboxed?  For example, if the linear gauge was sandboxed, would it still work?  If not, how would it be fixed.

bashirs Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi Cmn,

I need more time to look into your issue with mobile applications. I probably wont be able to get through it tonight. I hope to have something to report early in the work week.

Yes, the visuals in the gallery are not sandboxed because they have been verified to be safe for end users. That being said, most visuals work properly in sandbox with no changes. Anything that does not work is considered either (A) a bug in sandbox (which we want to fix) or (B) use of an unsupported PowerBi API unexpected to be used for custom visuals (we want to expose these in a better way) or (C) a security vulnerability (these need to be prevented).

Custom visuals is a preview feature and people are using it in ways we could not have ever imgined which is great! But we need to continue to invest to make sure that all (A) and (B) scenarios are supported in a way that will never break long term ever.

cmn Member

Hi bashirs,

I look forward to hearing any updates.  In the mean time I have done some further testing.  

You have said that 'most visuals work properly in sandbox with no changes'.  With this in mind, I have taken a copy of the Linear Gauge from the gallery and created a new version using Dev Tools.  The only change I made was change the default color of the gauge to make sure I was looking at my new one.  I then created a new report using the new custom visual and deployed it.  The gauge displays ok on the web site (both report and dashboard), but it does not render on iOS mobile device. This is exactly the same behaviour I am experiencing with my modified visual.  This proves that this visual does not work in sandbox with no changes.

Also, I have opened chrome developer tools while displaying a report with the custom visual, and there are some errors being thrown.  Here is a screen shot...

2016-04-09_17-18-00.png

Your help is greatly appreciated with this problem.  We have just finished rolling out a solution to a global company, and they are rightly getting very annoyed, to the point that they are considering ditching Power BI.  We have had many other issues as well as this (related to iOS bugs and data refresh issues).  

Finally, can you tell me where on the https://app.powerbi.com/visuals/ web site it says that custom visuals are a preview feature, as I can't see that mentioned anywhere.

cmn Member

Hi @bashirs, any update for me?

bashirs Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi cmn,

Yes, I was actually typing out a message to you while you sent that. I am looking into this issue right now in collaboration with the mobile app team and we should have some answers soon.

Thank you for your patience,

Bashir

jdrake Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

@bashirs Something else that changed with the sandbox is that the displayName in my custom capability is no longer being shown in the formatting pane. 

For example, I have defined capabilities.objects as:

objects: {
  fooBar: {
    displayName: 'Foo Bar',
    properties: {
      valueType: {
        displayName: 'Type',
      }
    }
  }
}

The section shows up as "fooBar" instead of "Foo Bar" and the valueType field shows up as "valueType" instead of "Type".

When I use the dev tools with the same capabilities things work as expected.

cmn Member

Hi @bashirs,

Still waiting on that update.  Have you been able to reproduce the problem at your end?

Thanks.

Highlighted
bashirs Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi cmn,

Yeah, we have a consistent repro. It works in my testing environments but reacts differently in the App Store applications. I have been working with a member of the app development team today to help them investigate. I dont yet have an estimated time for when the mobile apps will be fixed. I will report that back when I have more information.

Take care,

Bashir

cmn Member

@bashirs, I'm glad you can reproduce it.  

Another problem we are experiencing, and I think it is related to the custom visuals, is on the iPhone app, after I have openned one of the dashboards with custom visuals, if I try and open another dashboard (or even if I try and reopen the same one), it just hangs - I get the loading spinner and nothing appears.  I have to kill the mobile app and start again.

Does this happen for you as well?  It started happening the same time as the issue with the custom visuals.