Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jugurtha
Frequent Visitor

Custom Visual in PowerBi Javascript

Hi all,

I'm working on custom visual of PowerBi Javascript and i have a problem in this part of the code below:

Capture4.PNG 

I don't know where i can find the "visualContainer", i try with the title of my visual but it's not working.

Capture5.PNG

Than you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MattCalderwood
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @jugurtha 

It is a little bit frustrating, but you can get the Visual ID by opening up the pbix file.

Start by making a copy of your PBIX report file

MattCalderwood_0-1596815133872.png

Then rename the pbix file extension to .zip (pbix files are simply zip archives)

MattCalderwood_1-1596815214094.png

You can then browse the contents - open up the 'reports' folder inside - and look for a file called 'Layout'

MattCalderwood_2-1596815297093.png

You can then open this file in notepad - or another text editor...

The file contains JSON data defining your report contents and layout.

If we take the contents of the file and view it in a JSON viewer - we can see the structure.

MattCalderwood_3-1596815519403.png

The report is split into the its report pages (Sections) - and each visual is then found under the 'Visiual Containers' array - in my example here, I only have a single visual.

The Config property in this first (and only) entry - shows the internal name of your visual.  => 4babf0e10a7c5d8b6819
If you look at the remaining contents you will find the visual title - this will help you identify which visual is which.

Note: I think you will also need to supply the internal name for the report sections (ReportSection1) as shown in the JSON you posted.

An alternative Option for discovering the ID's:

If you are already embedding your report - you can use the GetVisuals function to get all visuals in a page.
https://github.com/Microsoft/PowerBI-JavaScript/wiki/Get-Visuals
The response from this method call will include the internal name/ID of each visual.

Hope this helps.
Cheers, Matt

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
MattCalderwood
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @jugurtha 

It is a little bit frustrating, but you can get the Visual ID by opening up the pbix file.

Start by making a copy of your PBIX report file

MattCalderwood_0-1596815133872.png

Then rename the pbix file extension to .zip (pbix files are simply zip archives)

MattCalderwood_1-1596815214094.png

You can then browse the contents - open up the 'reports' folder inside - and look for a file called 'Layout'

MattCalderwood_2-1596815297093.png

You can then open this file in notepad - or another text editor...

The file contains JSON data defining your report contents and layout.

If we take the contents of the file and view it in a JSON viewer - we can see the structure.

MattCalderwood_3-1596815519403.png

The report is split into the its report pages (Sections) - and each visual is then found under the 'Visiual Containers' array - in my example here, I only have a single visual.

The Config property in this first (and only) entry - shows the internal name of your visual.  => 4babf0e10a7c5d8b6819
If you look at the remaining contents you will find the visual title - this will help you identify which visual is which.

Note: I think you will also need to supply the internal name for the report sections (ReportSection1) as shown in the JSON you posted.

An alternative Option for discovering the ID's:

If you are already embedding your report - you can use the GetVisuals function to get all visuals in a page.
https://github.com/Microsoft/PowerBI-JavaScript/wiki/Get-Visuals
The response from this method call will include the internal name/ID of each visual.

Hope this helps.
Cheers, Matt

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.