Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

jugurtha
Frequent Visitor

Custom Visual in PowerBi Javascript

Hi all,

I'm working on custom visual of PowerBi Javascript and i have a problem in this part of the code below:

Capture4.PNG 

I don't know where i can find the "visualContainer", i try with the title of my visual but it's not working.

Capture5.PNG

Than you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MattCalderwood
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @jugurtha 

It is a little bit frustrating, but you can get the Visual ID by opening up the pbix file.

Start by making a copy of your PBIX report file

MattCalderwood_0-1596815133872.png

Then rename the pbix file extension to .zip (pbix files are simply zip archives)

MattCalderwood_1-1596815214094.png

You can then browse the contents - open up the 'reports' folder inside - and look for a file called 'Layout'

MattCalderwood_2-1596815297093.png

You can then open this file in notepad - or another text editor...

The file contains JSON data defining your report contents and layout.

If we take the contents of the file and view it in a JSON viewer - we can see the structure.

MattCalderwood_3-1596815519403.png

The report is split into the its report pages (Sections) - and each visual is then found under the 'Visiual Containers' array - in my example here, I only have a single visual.

The Config property in this first (and only) entry - shows the internal name of your visual.  => 4babf0e10a7c5d8b6819
If you look at the remaining contents you will find the visual title - this will help you identify which visual is which.

Note: I think you will also need to supply the internal name for the report sections (ReportSection1) as shown in the JSON you posted.

An alternative Option for discovering the ID's:

If you are already embedding your report - you can use the GetVisuals function to get all visuals in a page.
https://github.com/Microsoft/PowerBI-JavaScript/wiki/Get-Visuals
The response from this method call will include the internal name/ID of each visual.

Hope this helps.
Cheers, Matt

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
MattCalderwood
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @jugurtha 

It is a little bit frustrating, but you can get the Visual ID by opening up the pbix file.

Start by making a copy of your PBIX report file

MattCalderwood_0-1596815133872.png

Then rename the pbix file extension to .zip (pbix files are simply zip archives)

MattCalderwood_1-1596815214094.png

You can then browse the contents - open up the 'reports' folder inside - and look for a file called 'Layout'

MattCalderwood_2-1596815297093.png

You can then open this file in notepad - or another text editor...

The file contains JSON data defining your report contents and layout.

If we take the contents of the file and view it in a JSON viewer - we can see the structure.

MattCalderwood_3-1596815519403.png

The report is split into the its report pages (Sections) - and each visual is then found under the 'Visiual Containers' array - in my example here, I only have a single visual.

The Config property in this first (and only) entry - shows the internal name of your visual.  => 4babf0e10a7c5d8b6819
If you look at the remaining contents you will find the visual title - this will help you identify which visual is which.

Note: I think you will also need to supply the internal name for the report sections (ReportSection1) as shown in the JSON you posted.

An alternative Option for discovering the ID's:

If you are already embedding your report - you can use the GetVisuals function to get all visuals in a page.
https://github.com/Microsoft/PowerBI-JavaScript/wiki/Get-Visuals
The response from this method call will include the internal name/ID of each visual.

Hope this helps.
Cheers, Matt

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.