Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cipherbear

Custom Visual Data Question

Hey Guys,

I need to write a custom visualization for PowerBI, I understand that the main visualization is written in TypeScript, but I am more concerned with how the data is actually converted once you load it in to powerbi. I need to know what it is parsed in, XML, or JSON for example, so that I know how to work with it when writing my visualization. Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MawashiKid
Resolver II
Resolver II

You may have a look at my slideshare on Creating Custom Visuals with Power BI Visuals  CLI  [jump to slide 21...].

https://www.slideshare.net/DenysChamberland/creating-custom-visuals-with-power-bi-visuals-cli

In Power BI you can provide data in many format such as Excel, csv, sql query, json, ... but I'd say the main key to understand when creating a new pbi visual component is to understand how to map and convert those datas. For example, in case of liquidFillChart or Thermometer, you only need to pass a single value, so you'll use DataView Single pattern. In another case such as Sunburstchart, you may need a more elaborate pattern like DataView Matrix pattern.  That is done through DataRole and DataView parameters in capabilities.json and then provide a converter function either in visual.ts or in converter utility interface. Hope this helps 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MawashiKid
Resolver II
Resolver II

You may have a look at my slideshare on Creating Custom Visuals with Power BI Visuals  CLI  [jump to slide 21...].

https://www.slideshare.net/DenysChamberland/creating-custom-visuals-with-power-bi-visuals-cli

In Power BI you can provide data in many format such as Excel, csv, sql query, json, ... but I'd say the main key to understand when creating a new pbi visual component is to understand how to map and convert those datas. For example, in case of liquidFillChart or Thermometer, you only need to pass a single value, so you'll use DataView Single pattern. In another case such as Sunburstchart, you may need a more elaborate pattern like DataView Matrix pattern.  That is done through DataRole and DataView parameters in capabilities.json and then provide a converter function either in visual.ts or in converter utility interface. Hope this helps 

cipherbear

Hey Guys,

I need to write a custom visualization for PowerBI, I understand that the main visualization is written in TypeScript, but I am more concerned with how the data is actually converted once you load it in to powerbi. I need to know what it is parsed in, XML, or JSON for example, so that I know how to work with it when writing my visualization. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.