cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tomdenby
Frequent Visitor

Custom Visual Cross Referencing

Hi,

i have created my first custom visual and it work 90% how i would expect. when i select data in anothe visual my custom visual filters perfect.However, When i select something im my Visual nothing chnages in any of the other visuals. 

i guess im missing something very obvious but as a new come to developing in Powerbi, im not 100% sure what and when i google it i dont see any obvious answers. 

if anyone can explain or point me in the direction of what i need to do, i would be greatfull.

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @tomdenby ,

To need to create selectors for your data points - this involves assigning an ID to each data point that Power BI can resolve across visuals on the page relative to the dataset it provides your visual with. Your data points should also contain a status to flag whether they are selected or not, so that you can apply the required visual effects (e.g. reduced opacity) to the unselected ones. The relevant section of the developer documentation is here.

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @tomdenby ,

To need to create selectors for your data points - this involves assigning an ID to each data point that Power BI can resolve across visuals on the page relative to the dataset it provides your visual with. Your data points should also contain a status to flag whether they are selected or not, so that you can apply the required visual effects (e.g. reduced opacity) to the unselected ones. The relevant section of the developer documentation is here.

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

charticulator_carousel_with_text (1).png

Charticulator Design Challenge

Put your data visualization and design skills to the test! This exciting challenge is happening now through May 31st!

Power BI Dev Camp Session 22 768x460.jpg

Check it out!

Mark your calendars and join us on Thursday, May 26 at 11a PDT for a great session with Ted Pattison!

Top Solution Authors