Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

giammariam
Super User
Super User

Custom Visual - Access Filtered and Unfiltered Data

When a filter is applied, I need to be able to access both the filtered and unfiltered data in my visual. I am developing a hierarchical tree, so once data is filtered/sliced to a specific node, I need to know what that node is AND I need the unfiltered dataset to find the filtered node's ancestors and children.

One thing I tried was editing the slicer's visual interactions to not filter my custom visual's dataset. While I obviously could access the entire dataset, my custom visual had no way of knowing what values the slicer was set to filter on.

Is it possible to access both the filtered dataset and the unfiltered dataset in the dataViews?

Madison Giammaria
Proud to be a Super User 😄
LinkedIn

Do you frequently use Deneb to provide insights to your stakeholders? Have you considered sponsoring this free and open source custom visual? More info here!
2 REPLIES 2
emma_s
Helper I
Helper I

I am looking at a similar issue. Did you find a fix? The only thing I can think is to store the data when the page loads, and use it to compare against the changing dataViews data.

Sorry for responding so late to this, but what I ended up doing was storing the original dataset in one object and the current dataset in another object. On update, the current dataset would get overwritten each time but the original dataset would only change if more data became visible on update (i.e. if the report was set to initially load with a filter already applied and the user turned it off). By storing two versions of the dataset, I could reference datapoints that had been filtered out. 

Madison Giammaria
Proud to be a Super User 😄
LinkedIn

Do you frequently use Deneb to provide insights to your stakeholders? Have you considered sponsoring this free and open source custom visual? More info here!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.