Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cboneill0099
Frequent Visitor

Custom Slicer Loses Value When Toggling Visibility

I have a custom slicer I wrote that filters dates.  It's pretty basic, you just give it a date field and it lets you filter the report down to a single date.  The issue I'm having with it is if I select a date, the report filters down correctly.  If I then hide the visual it loses the selection and the filter is gone.

I'm having trouble finding documentation on what's happening behind the scenes when it's hidden.  Can anyone give me some insights into what's going on and if there is some type of special handling for this secenario?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cboneill0099 ,

Seems it act like a visual interaction instead of filter, please try to added the Advanced Filter API based on this similar thread: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Developer/Custom-Slicer-Selection-Issue/td-p/371992

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cboneill0099 ,

Seems it act like a visual interaction instead of filter, please try to added the Advanced Filter API based on this similar thread: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Developer/Custom-Slicer-Selection-Issue/td-p/371992

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I attempted to use the filtering API and it solved half of my problem.  Now, when I hide the visual the filter does not go away, but when I make the visual visable again, the filter gets lost.  Is there something I should be doing to persist the filter behind the scenes and reload it when making the visual visable again?

Here is my code in the update method:

let filterTarget: IFilterColumnTarget = {
            table: categories.source.queryName.substr(0, categories.source.queryName.indexOf('.')),
            column: categories.source.displayName
        };

const basicFilter: IBasicFilter = {
            $schema: "http://powerbi.com/product/schema#basic",
            // target: {
            //     table:"Date",
            //     column:"CalendarYear"
            // },
            target: filterTarget,
            operator: "In",
            values: [dateSelectionValue], //[2019],
            filterType: FilterType.Basic
        }

this.visualHost.applyJsonFilter(basicFilter, "general", "filter", FilterAction.merge);

This is what I added to the capabilities file:

"general": {
            "displayName": "General",
            "displayNameKey": "formattingGeneral",
            "properties": {
                "filter": {
                    "type": {
                        "filter": true
                    }
                },
                "selfFilter": {
                    "type": {
                        "filter": {
                            "selfFilter": true
                        }
                    }
                }
            }
        }

Thank you

There was an error in my code causing the filter to get lost.  The above solution worked for me.

Thank you.

Thank you.  I'll give that a shot.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors