Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Custom Data Connector Navigation Table Functions

I am creating a custom data connector and am currently working on the navigation table. I am writing this using the sdk in visual studio. 

I am attempting to have a function in my navigation table that will take in user inputs to search through a larger table with their specified conditions. While I have found evidence that this is possible https://github.com/Microsoft/DataConnectors/tree/master/samples/TripPin/1-OData and https://github.com/Microsoft/DataConnectors/tree/master/samples/OpenApiSample they both seem to import their naviagtion tables in through metadata returned from their queires which is not an option for me. 

Despite my best efforts I am yet to find anywhere that actually shows how to do this. I have tried simply putting a function that requires arguments in my navigation table but with no luck as it gives me an error that it is expecting  parameters (which makes sense, but I need the user to enter them).  I have even looked through the json metadata returned by some of the queries in the above examples with the closest I could find to anything was a value in the functions section setting IsComposable="true".

Any help or direction to a source which can help me would be greatly appreciated. 

7 REPLIES 7
gooduling
Frequent Visitor

Hi, I've founs the example of using functions in Navigation here https://github.com/microsoft/DataConnectors/issues/30

YuvalShwar

I'm facing similar issue - trying to create and expose custom function through visual studio custom connector code (to be shown in the navigator in power bi desktop), but not being able to do it. This is easily done through Power BI desktop, though.

Hi Yuval, have you found the solution?

sboptimal

I see you managed to get some sort of solution to this problem.  I wonder if you would be able to provide some pointers in how you solved it.  

I am having the same issue for a custom connector i am working on.  I have a number of functions that take different parameters and i would like to expose them via the navigation table.  I can get it to work if they don't require parameters from the user but i can't work out how to allow them to enter anything.   If i mock up something that auto-generates the Navigation table they appear as expected but unfortunately this isn't really an option for what i need to do.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, did you find a solution? I'm struggling with a similar problem.
Cheers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I managed to get it close but not perfect, I am back to looking for a way to do this again. I will let you know if I miraculously do make an progress

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, i also made a workaround for my case. If you're interested, when you try it again, i can try to help.

Cheers.

CAOP

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.