Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sylbae-a

Custom Data Connector / How to troubleshoot Testconnection Handler

Hello,

I built my first custom data connector (encapsulate access to authenticated Rest API).

It works fine with Power BI Desktop but I cannot enable scheduling of data source refresh through Enterprise Gateway.

I am pretty sure this is because of incorrect implementation of mandatory TestConnection handler.

When trying to configure the data source from Power BI web portal, I am getting an error "Cannot be added to gateway". In documentation, it is highlighted we likely have a problem with TestConnection if getting this message.

I developped my handler based on documentation:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/handlinggatewaysupport

But cannot figure out the problem... Is there any logfile I could access to get further details ?

TestDataSource = [

TestConnection = (dataSourcePath) => {"TestDataSource.Feed", dataSourcePath},

Authentication = [

UsernamePassword = []

],

Label = Extension.LoadString("DataSourceLabel")

];

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in the same situation. If you guys find anything, please help. I'll do the same.

john_dawson
Helper I
Helper I

I'm having related difficulties too; sorry, no answer, but a few resources that might be useful

The most useful (to me) was: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/handlinggatewaysupport, which covers parameters, which is perhaps a common problem with TestConnector; it is necessary that your TestConnector is called with the right parameters, otherwise it will fail

This is also useful: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/samples/trippin/9-testconnection/readme; as it says, unfortunately, there is no way to test TestConnection except in the On-premises Data Gateway, which makes it hard to track down problems

I'll come back if I myself make useful progress

Ultimately I troubleshooted my problem reviewing my code. But as a generic need, I still think it would be a good idea to implement some logging on the gateway. That would be very helpful

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @sylbae-a , I'm encountering the same issue. Could you please share how you solved this? My custom connector works fine in desktop but I cant get it to work through the gateway. I am able to enter credentials (Oauth2) but after the oauth flow the data source sign in window stays opened, nothing happens. I think it is caused by the testconnection configuration but I'm not able to find the exact cause.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.