Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vraja_12

Creating new CustomVisual

Hi all, 

So I am trying to get my hands dirty with PowerBI custom visuals and have been following these 2 tutorials: 

1) https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/custom-visual-develop-tutorial

2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRMLdaB3ogs

I have followed the tutorials to the dot and downloaded both node.js and visual studio code. My node.js version is v10.16.3 and npm version is 6.9.0. 

When I create a new pbiviz project, both tutorials show that I am supposed to see 

1) ".api" as an option above the ".vscode"  Capture.PNG

2) "externalJS" in pbiviz.json should contain "node_modules/powerbi-visuals-utils-dataviewutils/lib/index.js"

Capture.PNG

3) There should be a "powerbi-visuals-utils-dataviewutils" folder under node_modules

Capture2.PNG

However when I followed the instructions, I got none of the above. Here is what my view looks like: 

Capture3.PNG

It seems like my "powerbi-visuals-utils-dataviewutils" was not packaged properly but I am unsure of how to go about debugging this. Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @vraja_12,

The documentation linked is for the older versions of the custom visuals SDK and will not work or result in the same outcomes for the latest version (3.x). There is no updated tutorial for the latest version in documentation form, so the video you linked is probably the most up-to-date asset from MS. Makes it a bit harder for people to learn 😞

If you want the tutorial to work as-is, you'll need to make sure the SDK is "downgraded" to work with the version in the tutorial. In this section, modify step 2 from:

npm i -g powerbi-visuals-tools

to:

npm i -g powerbi-visuals-tools@2.5

You should then be able to continue the tutorial as normal.

In v3 of the SDK, the .api folder is replaced with seeing powerbi-visuals-api in your node_modules folder, so if you see that in your folder, then this bit is actually okay.

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Hi Daniel, 

Thank you for the explanation! I'll try your recommendation and report back on how it works for me. 

Regards,

Vaishali

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.