Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hr_tetra
Helper I
Helper I

Creating a timeline view with a highlighted link path

Hi all,

Am a trying to visualize the production flow of batches troughout different systems and containers. It can get quite complicated with, so one also need to be able to highlight the path through the links.

Uses:

• You have a sub-standard batch or part of a bath, and you want to check that path of that group by clicking the container it is in, then highlighting the path backwards in time. Ideally this is combined with key production data from the different stages to highlight any problems
  • CV - retain a CV of a group by going back through the links from the end to the beginning. What raw materials has been used, how has the environmental conditions been, key performances,

I successfully made a Sankey chart which kind of work, but it looks to be an older version where you could add labels to source and target. Anyway the issue is that one can only highlight one path, so one has to manually highlight the whole pathway and this can be cumbersome.

I also made a charticulator timeline but have similar issues as with the Sankey. The links do not highlight at all here.

Data consists of two tables.

DataNodes

id [batch id]

batch name

ContainerName

start_date

end_date

DataLinks

source_id

target_id

source_container

target_container

TransferCount

They are link from id to source_id.

Example of Sankey: 

hr_tetra_0-1638691103069.png

Is it possible to highlight the path without manually having to click the links?

Example of timeline in Charticulator where the containers are lined up on the containers are lined up on the y-axis and date on the x-axis, and the different batches move through different containers: 

hr_tetra_1-1638691389757.png

I would here like to be able to select one container at the present time, and get the whole path back to the start highlighted.

We do have an old software that does this successfully with the same data, but the software itself isn't very user friendly, only to log in is a big hassle: 

hr_tetra_2-1638691667093.png

I have clicket the last status of B5 in container 66 (y-axis), and it highlights all the connections back in time. This is what I want to do in Power BI.

Does anyone have any idea how to get this working?

Best regards,

Hr_Tetra

1 REPLY 1
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @hr_tetra ,

Based on your description, it seems like you are looking for a way to highlight all "paths" on Sankey visual instead of just clicking on a special path. Perhaps you can contact the custom visual supprot team ask for help with this requirement. Additionally, check out the blogs below, hope they can help you.

Sankey Chart | Multi-Level Sankey diagram in Power BI using DAX

Sankey diagram for visualization of flows

Power BI Custom Visuals - Sankey with Labels

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.