Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Create portal and embed Power BI reports for external customers

Hi,

We want to create a portal to share our Power BI reports with external customers (approx 7,000). For this, we thought of creating a PowerApps portal and embed reports in it but after doing some math this option turned out to be very expensive so we are planning to set up our own web application and embed reports. But before going in this direction I just want to know if:

1. Power BI Premium capacity (P1) licensing supports embedding reports into custom web applications - I believe YES

2. These Embedded reports (which uses import mode) support RLS with On-premises SQL server as datasource.

Besides the above-mentioned options, if there is any other way to give reports access to external customers please suggest.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous ,

Thanks for the response. I know about Power BI Embedded capacity and we are certainly not interested to buy any kind of licensing as we already have Power BI Premium capacity which meets all of our internal needs. My original question is what's the best way to create and a portal from scratch and embed Power BI reports leveraging the Premium licensing that we already have. I think I figured it for myself after a very in-depth research.

1. With PowerApps portals: For organizations with less external customer base and no portal to embed PBI reports then creating a PowerApps Portal and then using PowerBI Premium/PRO to embed reports is the way to go.

2. Without PowerApps portals: For organizations with a huge external customer base and no portal to embed PBI reports then developing a Web application using CMS like Wordpress and then leveraging PBI Premium capacity/PRO is the best option.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
warrenaj
Employee
Employee

Hi,

here is my repo on embedding powerbi report server report for external customers using basic auth (silent authentication)  https://github.com/warrenandre/powerbi_report_Server_embed_for_external_customers

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is another less expensive licensing option for embedding called Power BI Embedded capacity (starting at A1), this provides the same embedding features but does not include unlimited Power BI pro licenses for the organisation that Premium does.  For smaller organisation this might be a better option 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous ,

Thanks for the response. I know about Power BI Embedded capacity and we are certainly not interested to buy any kind of licensing as we already have Power BI Premium capacity which meets all of our internal needs. My original question is what's the best way to create and a portal from scratch and embed Power BI reports leveraging the Premium licensing that we already have. I think I figured it for myself after a very in-depth research.

1. With PowerApps portals: For organizations with less external customer base and no portal to embed PBI reports then creating a PowerApps Portal and then using PowerBI Premium/PRO to embed reports is the way to go.

2. Without PowerApps portals: For organizations with a huge external customer base and no portal to embed PBI reports then developing a Web application using CMS like Wordpress and then leveraging PBI Premium capacity/PRO is the best option.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.