Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Create historic data table with Web incoming data

Hello all. I did a lot of research here and so far i couldn't find any suitable solution. I create a table in Power Query Editor that contains sensor data directly from Web. This data is a CSV-dat file and usually updated with new lines every 2 hours. The "current" is the month May in this excercise - see photo attached. In June this file will contain only "June" data and the "May" data will then be available under a different file name. The files are small (<1000 rows) so data handling does not seem to be a issue.

Now i want to create Visual Graphs for this hourly-updated data and publish the report. Is there any way - in every refresh - to collect the newly incoming data into a table ?  I want to to automate the process and not having to manually load/join tables every month.

"Incremental refresh" here would not work as the incoming data contain only the current month.

Other commands such as "Union" will also not work.

I hope the above was clear - any input and guidance appreciated! Regards

1.jpg

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear Greg and all,

i finally managed to do it using a Dataflow and a Dataset. The i schedule refresh intervals for both and the report is always up to date.

More information on how to do it you can find under this page - which was really heplful for me :

https://exceed.hr/hr/blog/incremental-refresh-using-powerbi-pro-and-dataflows 

So far i don't see any drawbacks with this approach apart from the fact tha the data update is a bit slow.

Antonis

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear Greg,

i finally managed to do it using a combination of dataflows and datasets. The update interval has to be set with a difference of 30 minutes in order for this to work correctly.

Some instructions can be found under this link https://exceed.hr/hr/blog/incremental-refresh-using-powerbi-pro-and-dataflows 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

So generally no. What I would recommend would be to setup a process via Power Automate or other means by which files are copied to a single folder and given a unique name. Then use a Folder query in Power BI.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear Greg,

i finally managed to do it using a combination of dataflows and datasets. The update interval has to be set with a difference of 30 minutes in order for this to work correctly.

Some instructions can be found under this link https://exceed.hr/hr/blog/incremental-refresh-using-powerbi-pro-and-dataflows 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear Greg and all,

i finally managed to do it using a Dataflow and a Dataset. The i schedule refresh intervals for both and the report is always up to date.

More information on how to do it you can find under this page - which was really heplful for me :

https://exceed.hr/hr/blog/incremental-refresh-using-powerbi-pro-and-dataflows 

So far i don't see any drawbacks with this approach apart from the fact tha the data update is a bit slow.

Antonis

Anonymous
Not applicable

I see...it's getting really complicated then..Thanks for the answer.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors