Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

lferdinand
Frequent Visitor

Create a Dataset programatically

My design requires that I create 1 or more tenant-specific datasets to service a single dashboard whose data comes from a common elasticsearch cluster.  Data is stored in tenant-specific indices in es. Given that, I assume that I could create a dataset per dashboard per tenant. I don't see how I would go about doing that in the examples in docs.powerbi.apiary.io.

Are my assumptions accurate?

Basically, I'm trying to programmatically perform what an author would do when clicking on Get Data button in the lower right corner of app.powerbi.com....

Does the process work like this....

1. Create a Gateway (tenant-specific)

2. Associate the Gateway with a dataset?

3. Associate or create a new dashboard from a template to the Gateway....

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@lferdinand wrote:

My design requires that I create 1 or more tenant-specific datasets to service a single dashboard whose data comes from a common elasticsearch cluster.  Data is stored in tenant-specific indices in es. Given that, I assume that I could create a dataset per dashboard per tenant. I don't see how I would go about doing that in the examples in docs.powerbi.apiary.io.

Basically, I'm trying to programmatically perform what an author would do when clicking on Get Data button in the lower right corner of app.powerbi.com....

Thanks

@lferdinand

You can create datasets via the REST API Create Dataset. The datasets created via the API have to be fed with REST API Add Rows. See Push data into a Power BI dataset. You don't set up gateway in this scenario.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@lferdinand wrote:

Thanks

@lferdinand

You can create datasets via the REST API Create Dataset. The datasets created via the API have to be fed with REST API Add Rows. See Push data into a Power BI dataset. You don't set up gateway in this scenario.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Eric_Zhang -
Hi, not sure if your still around since the original post was a long time ago.
The links you posted just go to the API Documentation home page.
I was wondering if you have updated/better links.
Also is this still the best option. Create a Pushdataset and push the data.

Jeff

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.