Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ven
Frequent Visitor

Content Pack Template InstanceNotRegistered

Hi

I'm having an issue with Template Content Packs. I've created a test Template Content Pack which includes a Dataset, Report and Dashboard. When creating the Content Pack I ticked the 'Make this content pack a template' and that created the template fine. I've checked the dataset and I can refresh the data fine. When I try testing the Content Pack Template it shows me the connections details to the SQL Server instance and the Database. The only option I've got is to select the authentication of either 'Windows' or 'Basic'. Choosing the authentication as 'Windows' I get the following error:

Failed to update data source credentials: InstanceNotRegisteredHide details
Activity ID: dce584a2-f56c-48c1-b1f8-f970c56a0a79 
Request ID: cb991837-051b-4bb7-2e5e-f78a70156463 
Status code: 400 
Time: Mon Oct 24 2016 12:26:04 GMT+0100 (GMT Daylight Time) 
Version: 13.0.1700.457 
Cluster URI: https://wabi-north-europe-redirect.analysis.windows.net 
Details: InstanceNotRegistered

If I try the authentication 'Basic' it just sits there with the spinning timer.

I've had a look around Google and people have suggested updating the On Premise Gateway so I've un-installed that downloaded the latest one from the link in Power BI and tried that and that hasn't made a difference.

This issue is happening with Content Pack Templates which connect to On Premise Gateways on the same domain as my Power BI login and On Premise Gateways on my development domain.

Anyone got some suggestions to the answer on this?

Thanks

Ven

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
KumarDarmesh
Helper IV
Helper IV

I guess your content pack might have violate some restrctions. See more https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-developer-content-pack-authoring/

Summary of restrictions

As listed in the above sections, currently the template content packs have a set of restrictions:

SupportedNot Supported
Datasets built in PBI DesktopDatasets from other content packs or inputs such as Excel files
Data source supported for cloud Scheduled Data refreshDirect query or on-prem connecitivty is not supported
Queries returning consistent schema or errors where appropriateDynamic or custom schemas
One data source per datasetMultiple data sources such as mashups or URLs that are detected as mutliple data sources
Parameters of type textOther parameter types (such as date) or "list allowed of values"
One dashboard, report and datasetMultiple dashboards, reports or datasets

View solution in original post

Ven
Frequent Visitor

Hi

Just an update to this. I've manged to get this sorted an now have the Content Pack Template setup. In the end the problems were certificate and DNS issues.

Was using a self signed certificate not one for the company. Move the development on to an Azure environment and gavve the machine a public DNS. In the company DNS registered the Azure Public DNS against the company domain. was able to then contect created the .bpix file. Upload the file and create the Content Pack Template. The template then works fine and doesn't give me the error.

Regards

Ven

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
KumarDarmesh
Helper IV
Helper IV

I guess your content pack might have violate some restrctions. See more https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-developer-content-pack-authoring/

Summary of restrictions

As listed in the above sections, currently the template content packs have a set of restrictions:

SupportedNot Supported
Datasets built in PBI DesktopDatasets from other content packs or inputs such as Excel files
Data source supported for cloud Scheduled Data refreshDirect query or on-prem connecitivty is not supported
Queries returning consistent schema or errors where appropriateDynamic or custom schemas
One data source per datasetMultiple data sources such as mashups or URLs that are detected as mutliple data sources
Parameters of type textOther parameter types (such as date) or "list allowed of values"
One dashboard, report and datasetMultiple dashboards, reports or datasets

Hi Kumar

Quite probably your right on that but I can't see which of those restrictions I'm hitting. I'm just trying to connect the template to an OData feed. It's not like I'm trying to do anything hard. I can in PBI Desktop connect to the feed with credentials however I have to import domain certificate and alter the host file to acheive this as using the IP for the host machine give an SSL/TSL error. You can't do that in the PBI Web. I suspect the service, which requires 'Windows' authentication, I'm connecting to isn't right somehow an is only intented to be used in the same domain.

Thanks

Ven

Ven
Frequent Visitor

Hi

Just an update to this. I've manged to get this sorted an now have the Content Pack Template setup. In the end the problems were certificate and DNS issues.

Was using a self signed certificate not one for the company. Move the development on to an Azure environment and gavve the machine a public DNS. In the company DNS registered the Azure Public DNS against the company domain. was able to then contect created the .bpix file. Upload the file and create the Content Pack Template. The template then works fine and doesn't give me the error.

Regards

Ven

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.