Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Indrasena
Regular Visitor

Connecting from power BI to rest API with Oath2 authentication

• Can someone provide a sample power bi project for connecting power Bi to rest API using Oath2 authorisation.

6 REPLIES 6
Sarath_babu2

I came across the same requirement and the solution in below link worked for me. Document was very clear and explained step by step in detail.

https://www.advaiya.com/generate-dynamic-token-and-get-data-from-custom-api-in-power-bi/

Indrasena
Regular Visitor

Please find the below snippet code and need some inputs for looping,triggering the web api and store each response as record. 

Indrasena_0-1639937550193.png

kyrpav
Helper IV
Helper IV

If you want to publish the report, there is no solution probably at the moment i have the same problem.

Service provides basic authentication.

In desktop you can easily in one query make the first call to the login to get the token and then pass the token to the second call as authorization.

body = "{"if it is required for the sign in or you 
            need to put somehow user and pass for sign in"}",

Data= Web.Contents("https://your.sign.in.api",
                            [Content=Text.ToBinary(body),
                             Headers=[#"Content-Type"="application/json"]]),  
DataRecord = Json.Document(Data) ,  
token=DataRecord[data],

Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://your.rest.api", 
                                    [Headers=[#"type"="application_auth",
                                              #"Authorization"="Bearer "&token]])),

Is there any step by step guide like below, i am trying it for the first time as i dont have any idea on Oath2 and API authorisation,

https://www.myonlinetraininghub.com/connecting-to-an-oauth-api-like-paypal-with-power-query

It would be a great help if i can get some exact snippet M code.

Hi @Indrasena 

If you want to connect from Power BI to a REST API that uses OAuth2 authentication then you need to build a custom connector. You can find documentation on how to implement an OAuth2 flow in a custom connector here.

For reference: Connecting To REST APIs With OAuth2 Authentication In Power Query/Power BI

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I have tried building one but am not a developer and it is quite frustrating. Can someone just build one and publish it? I know there is an issue that PowerBI cannot deal with Secrets.

This person has built one for OuraCloud, can someone do the same for AzureAD.

Here was my stumbling path BEFORE I even got to developing, where once again, I realise I am not a developer. This was over 2 hours of just plain annoying documentation from Microsoft.

1. View Power Query SDK page - Need Visual Studio
  2. Install Visual Studio - 2022 Community
  3. FAIL Power Query SDK will not install
  4. Research - PQ SDK only supports VS 2019
  5. Install Visual Studio - 2019 Community
  6. FAIL Cannot create project - Missing File
  7. Research - Need any workflow - Apparently according to one page
  8. Install Python extension - Smallest
  9. FAIL - Cannot create Project - Something something Folder, Roslyn
  10. Install another extension, .NET, C# and others
  11.  SUCCESS: Can now create a new Connection project

Maybe the SDK page could say "Does not support 2022 - Install older VS version" and list what is needed to actually MAKE A **bleep** PROJECT.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.