Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sniffer
Regular Visitor

Connect to REST API via PowerBI

Admittedly, I am new at this and humbly posting this online for assistance.  Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I've searched this site and have found many similar posts, but have not been able to successfully connect to a source using REST API.  My specific request pertains to the details posted on this page:  https://app.airdata.com/docs/api/

I'm using PowerBI desktop and am trying to connect to this data.  I have an API key using the PowerBI connect to web interface.  The first thing I did was access the base URL (https://api.airdata.com) from PowerBI.  I received a pop-up window stating that the site only accepts anonymous access.  In posts I've read here online, others have a pop-up that asks how to connect to the site with anonymously as an option.  I was not given that option.  How do I access this anonymously?

Secondly, since I have an API key, what is the best way to access the data?  Can I access it via the "From Web" method?  If yes,  what URL and authentication string do I need for the URL to access successfully? Or, do I need to access via code from the power query and how would I do that?

Much thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
wetscott
Helper I
Helper I

Hi there.

I'm just now trying to connect to the AirData API as well. Having a little trouble trying to follow the above links. Just can't seem to wrap my head around while refering to the AirDate API docs.

Did you have any luck?

I'm basically trying to export a list of all flights. Virtually all fields available.

Any guidance would be much appreaciated.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Read up on the optional parameters of the Web.Contents() call in Power Query.  There you can specify header, authentication, and data payload options (the latter for switching from GET to POST)

The hidden gems of the function Web.Contents() - Kohera

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.