Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

prabhabi
Regular Visitor

Connect SQL database & build reports inside PowerBI

Hello,

I have a cloud powerBI pro version. I would like to connect my SQL databases with PowerBI and then generate reports, dahaboards.  Can you please provide me the step by step approach for this?

Note: I have created "Data gateway" and also created the datasource(connected my SQL database with basic authentication) in the PowerBI. After that, the gateway says "you are ready to go" and "test connection successful". When I try to use "Get Data" option, the powerBI shows SASA, Azure SQL databases and etc. But it is not showing plain SQL server option. Please provide your suggestion to resolve this.

Regards,

Prabha

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@prabhabi

When connecting to a SQL Server database, you shall download the Power BI Desktop. See this tutorial Working with SQL Server data in Power BI Desktop. Power BI Desktop is free and you have no worry about license

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@prabhabi

When connecting to a SQL Server database, you shall download the Power BI Desktop. See this tutorial Working with SQL Server data in Power BI Desktop. Power BI Desktop is free and you have no worry about license

Thanks for the response.

Hello,

Thanks for the response.

I would like to know some more below items on the PowerBI. Please provide your answer for this.

• Explain how to save&publish the user modified PowerBI report from the aspx page to cloud PowerBI?
  • Where place(my workspace or else) the modified PowerBI reports will be saved?
  • Impersonation/elevated permission is possible? (as every powerBI user we cannot use credential in the source code)

Please note that, I am intergrating PowerBI reports with aspx page using REST API calls. After report displayed in the page, user changing some filter values and they would like to save the report to the cloud PowerBI.

Thanks!

Prabha

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors