Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Confusion about the REST API Post Import In Group - What do we mean by importing a model.json?

Hello everybody,

I am reading through the REST API documentation of 'Post import in Group' which in simpler terms (as per my understanding) allows us to upload a PBIX to a workspace.

The name of the report as it appears online and the id of the workspace are specified via parameters in the URL while the binary content is specified in the body of the request.

The Microsoft documentation goes a step forward and states that this REST API end point can also be used for importing a model.json file.

sau001_0-1617834872004.png

Please help me understand. 

Does the model.json refer to the underlying DataModel file which can be extracted out of the PBIX by renaming to ZIP?

I was under the impression that the DataModel file - even though viewable by extracting from PBIX is essentially not to be tampered with or relied upon. It should be considered an internal file only.

Thank you,

Sau

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Power BI dataflows store data in the CDM folder format in Azure storage.CDM folders use text files to store data, and a model.json file to store metadata.

This API refers to model.json in the dataflow, not model.json in pbix.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Power BI dataflows store data in the CDM folder format in Azure storage.CDM folders use text files to store data, and a model.json file to store metadata.

This API refers to model.json in the dataflow, not model.json in pbix.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.