Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ArunTiruveedula
Frequent Visitor

Column masking based on user login

Hello ,

I have a requirement from our user that they want to mask the contents of 'Person Name' in the Power BI grid/visualization/slicer based on the user login.

For example user1 (Power user) should be able see the contents of column 'Person Name' where as user2 (Normal user) should see the Masked data (replace name with technical key).

I can not create a measure for 'Person Name' because I need to use it slicer, bar graph axis etc.

My dataset is big enough, I can not consider duplicating each row in the FACT table and then apply RLS.

is there is any way out to this problem.

Thanks a lot in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

No. Your only (half) choice is the duplication you mention, but even that is not secure. Any reasonably advanced user can circumvent that.

If you have datasets that serve sufficiently different audiences then you need separate apps.

Vote for the Column Level Security idea.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ArunTiruveedula ,

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, kindly Accept it as the solution. More people will benefit from it.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ArunTiruveedula ,

To my knowledge, RLS (Row Level Security) could not be used to limit the columns or measures accessible by my users.

In other words,If a user has access to a particular row of data, they can see all the columns of data for that row.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

No. Your only (half) choice is the duplication you mention, but even that is not secure. Any reasonably advanced user can circumvent that.

If you have datasets that serve sufficiently different audiences then you need separate apps.

Vote for the Column Level Security idea.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.