Frequent Visitor

Cloning the data sets of Power BI with connection to the different database using API.

I want to clone the datasets of Power BI with the connection to the different database by using API.

I'm able to create the data set by giving the hardcoded data to the "tables" property.

"tables": [ { "name": "Product", "columns": [ { "name": "ProductID", "dataType": "Int64" }, { "name": "Name", "dataType": "string" }, { "name": "Category", "dataType": "string" }, { "name": "IsCompete", "dataType": "bool" }, { "name": "ManufacturedOn", "dataType": "DateTime" } ].

But I want to clone the datasets that are already there in another workspace with the different database connection.

But the problem it is saying is, we can only clone the datasets that are created by using the API.So that it can have API access. We cannot clone the datasets that are published in PowerBi Desktop.

My requirement is to clone the datasets of another workspace with the different database connection.

Please help me solve this. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor

Problem in cloning data set from one workspace to other.

Is it possible with PowerBI API to get columns of a table with all the fields and data type?

e.g. with the GET "htps://api/powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/datasets/ID/tables" I get the JSON that looks something like this
"value":[{ "name": "product"}], but what I really need is JSON that contains table name but also all the columns fields with the corresponding data type.

How to make this?

Frequent Visitor

Cloning a dataset from one workspace to another workspace using powerbi API

I am trying to clone the complete Power BI report. With API, reports can be cloned but the datasets are not cloned. How to clone the report with its dataset.

Community Support Team

Re: Cloning a dataset from one workspace to another workspace using powerbi API

Hi @shilpakopparad,

Though we can't clone the dataset directly, there could be a workaround. The change is only the data source.

1. Upload the pbix file with imports/postimportingroup.

2. Update the data sources with datasets/updatedatasourcesingroup

Please also note there are some limitations. 

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.