Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cloning the data sets of Power BI with connection to the different database using API.

I want to clone the datasets of Power BI with the connection to the different database by using API.

I'm able to create the data set by giving the hardcoded data to the "tables" property.

"tables": [ { "name": "Product", "columns": [ { "name": "ProductID", "dataType": "Int64" }, { "name": "Name", "dataType": "string" }, { "name": "Category", "dataType": "string" }, { "name": "IsCompete", "dataType": "bool" }, { "name": "ManufacturedOn", "dataType": "DateTime" } ].

But I want to clone the datasets that are already there in another workspace with the different database connection.

But the problem it is saying is, we can only clone the datasets that are created by using the API.So that it can have API access. We cannot clone the datasets that are published in PowerBi Desktop.

My requirement is to clone the datasets of another workspace with the different database connection.

Please help me solve this. Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am trying to clone the complete Power BI report. With API, reports can be cloned but the datasets are not cloned. How to clone the report with its dataset.

Hi @Anonymous,

Though we can't clone the dataset directly, there could be a workaround. The change is only the data source.

1. Upload the pbix file with imports/postimportingroup.

2. Update the data sources with datasets/updatedatasourcesingroup

Please also note there are some limitations. 

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I think is not possible to change the database, currently i am using the method datasets/updatedatasourcesingroup, for postgressql database.

The message I get is always "Not Found" because this function needs a gateway, in that case the reports are running without a gatway as the source database is located in azure.

Any idea on this schenario?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it possible with PowerBI API to get columns of a table with all the fields and data type?

e.g. with the GET "htps://api/powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/datasets/ID/tables" I get the JSON that looks something like this
"value":[{ "name": "product"}], but what I really need is JSON that contains table name but also all the columns fields with the corresponding data type.

How to make this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors