Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

D_PBI
Post Patron
Post Patron

Clarification on the Power Platform from a Power BI perspective

Hi,

I hope this is the appropiate sub-forum to post this question. I wanted to ask it from a PBI perspective - hence asking it here.

I'm a PBI developer and come from a BI background. I like how PBI can be used in any department/industry and not restricted to I.T. departments or software houses as other technologies often are - more job opportunities as a result.

I'm currently spending some extra time refreshing myself on PBI features and relearning the many DAX functions. Unfortunately, I just don't get to use all in my current role and therefore need continuous refreshers.
It raises the question of "should I focus my energy on PBI?" or "should I settle for my current knowledge of PBI, even if rusty, and look to understand other areas of the Power Platform?".  My aim is job opportunities and security.

I have not used Power Apps or Power Automate (or the newer Virtual Agents) but I have an understanding on what their aims are.
To me, they are not BI tools and therefore, if I wish to continue with BI, is not be something I should focus my energy on. I've seen the example of embedding a Power App interface within a PBI report, entering data into that Power App, and the using Power Automate to push through that data to the source. Although this is impressive it is more software development territory than BI.

For me, I like taking data, regardless of what mess it's in, and turning it into insights. I don't really have an interest in creating Apps to update source applications or creating virtual bots.
I guess I'm asking if I am missing something with the Power Platform based on my career desires. I feel I should aim to be very competent at PBI, as they'll always be more demand for insights, than splitting my time between the various Power Platform tools.
I think because MS have grouped the various tools under the Power Platform banner that I need to seek confirmation here.

Do you agree?  What are your thoughts?
Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @D_PBI,

#1. You can check the following video to know the difference between power apps and power bi:

#2, You can take a look at the below document about the get started with power Automate.

Get started with Power Automate - Power Automate | Microsoft Docs

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-shex-msft for your reply.
I have seen this video before and, with you posting it, it confirms my belief.

The presenter says at the beginning 'We kinda do Power BI'. This tells me that, although Power BI is under the Power Platform umbrella, along with Power Automate/Power Apps/Virtual Agents, if your focus is BI then PBI is the tool you use and a BI professional wouldn't be expected to start developing Power Apps, and the like.
I thought I would've received more replies to this question (alhtough it's not a technical question, it is a career question). I wonder if it's due to the answer being 'no, you don't need to learn the Power Platform if you focus is BI', which may dismiss the use case of the Power Platform - far from it - the Power Platform tools are very useful and I have no doubt will become very popular, but I am seeking to know if a Power BI developer, with a career in BI, should (needs to) focus their energy on the other tools of the Power Platform to secure job opportunities. I do take a look at job boards but the experience of those on here would be useful too.
Maybe another way of asking my question would be to ask 'what percentage (roughly) of PBI developers develop using other Power Platform tools as part of their job?' or 'who, on here, that are PBI/BI developers develop using other Power Platform tools as part of their job?'

If anyone would care to share their views it would be interesting to note.
Thanks.

HI @D_PBI,
>>Maybe another way of asking my question would be to ask 'what percentage (roughly) of PBI developers develop using other Power Platform tools as part of their job?' or 'who, on here, that are PBI/BI developers develop using other Power

It is hard to say which one should be better, they are working for different usage scenarios. (MS also provides the features to integrate with power bi and powerapps)

If you only want to do some report design and share, power bi should be a better choice.

If you are paying attention to trace the data source status, work with uncommon data source/API, or required some automatic operations, I will suggest you use the power platform.

In addition, you can also use these products at the same time. 

For example:

#1. you need to use uncommon data sources which power bi does not provide data connectors to design reports.
You can use power platform CDM(common data model) to connect to the data source, then you can use power bi data connector(CDM) to get data from the processed data source and design report.

#2, You need to do some advanced trace and notice operations which power bi not supported.

You can choose to use power platform(dataflow trigger) integrated with power bi to achieve your requirements.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
D_PBI
Post Patron
Post Patron

Bump... does anyone have any views on the need to learn Power App/Power Automate if their career is within the BI arena, using the Power BI tool?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.