Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cboneill0099
Helper I
Helper I

Checking a Custom Visual Into Source Control

I have a couple custom visuals I need to check into source control.  A while back I read a blog post detailing what folders I can delete and then there is an install command to run that'll get everything I need back when I have to load the project again.  It looks like the node_modules and .tmp folders are the ones (just over 8,200 files for this particular project).

Can anyone tell me what I have to do here, or point me to where I can read up on it?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @cboneill0099,

If you're using Git, here's a .gitignore file you can use in your project to ensure that all temp/unnecessary files are excluded (I've had this reviewed by MS as part of certifying a visual).

As long as your package.json and package-lock.json contains all dependencies and is committed, you can rebuild your visual locally after cloning the repo by running:

npm i

...from the root folder of your project. This will scan your package*.json files and reconstruct your project's dependencies in the node_modules folder.

This should be all you need, but feel free to ask any other questions and I'll see if I can clarify for you.

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @cboneill0099,

If you're using Git, here's a .gitignore file you can use in your project to ensure that all temp/unnecessary files are excluded (I've had this reviewed by MS as part of certifying a visual).

As long as your package.json and package-lock.json contains all dependencies and is committed, you can rebuild your visual locally after cloning the repo by running:

npm i

...from the root folder of your project. This will scan your package*.json files and reconstruct your project's dependencies in the node_modules folder.

This should be all you need, but feel free to ask any other questions and I'll see if I can clarify for you.

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Thank you, appreciate the info.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.