Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lucmax
Helper II
Helper II

Check if custom visual was reloaded by changing bookmarks

Hey,

is there a way to check if the data reload inside a custom visual is caused by changing the bookmarks in the report? We are using self-filters and need to apply them, if the bookmarks changed. But we only want to do this, if they changed, not everytime the data changed.

Regards,

lucmax

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @lucmax,

There's no VisualUpdateType that denotes whether the update was triggered from a bookmark or not - it's highly likely that any such event would record either VisualUpdateType.Data or VisualUpdateType.All.

The only way to manage this currently might be to hold the applied filter in a specific class property or in your ViewModel before you apply it to your visual and compare the jsonFilters array from the VisualUpdateOptions with the one you have in your aforefmentioned variable and act accordingly. However, I've not done much work with self-filters, just regular ones so this approach might need to extend to storing your dataView and comparing that also.

If this isn't a suitable approach for you, I'd suggest creating a feature request in the GitHub repo and see if it's something that can get added in a future release.

Good luck!

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @lucmax,

There's no VisualUpdateType that denotes whether the update was triggered from a bookmark or not - it's highly likely that any such event would record either VisualUpdateType.Data or VisualUpdateType.All.

The only way to manage this currently might be to hold the applied filter in a specific class property or in your ViewModel before you apply it to your visual and compare the jsonFilters array from the VisualUpdateOptions with the one you have in your aforefmentioned variable and act accordingly. However, I've not done much work with self-filters, just regular ones so this approach might need to extend to storing your dataView and comparing that also.

If this isn't a suitable approach for you, I'd suggest creating a feature request in the GitHub repo and see if it's something that can get added in a future release.

Good luck!

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.