Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

liyanc

Charting overallocation of resources against time

Hi, I'm trying to create a line chart of resource overallocation against time like below:

Annotation 2020-05-08 022043.jpg

However, I would also like for the user viewing the report to be able to choose which resources are displayed in the chart.

I have 2 data sources.

The first is a table of assignment work against time. Resources can have multiple assignments on the same day.

Annotation 2020-05-08 0149531.jpg

The second table is of resource capacity over time.

Annotation 2020-05-08 0149533.jpg

My current idea involves the following:

1. Group data in Assignment table by day/resource to get each resource's work by day.  

2. Merging the queries (tables 1 and 2) using a custom ID column (concat of TimeByDay and ResourceName).

3. Subtracting Capacity from WorkByDay to get Overallocation.

4. Pivoting ResourceName column to give the following table:

Annotation 2020-05-08 0149534.jpg

5. Adding the individual fields (resource) to the line chart.

My questions are:

1. I would like for the user to be able to select which resources are shown on the chart (e.g. via a slicer). As each resource is currently an individual field, is this possible?
  2. Additionally, I have a table of detailed resource information (e.g. resource name, ID, department, etc). Is there a way to directly map the overallocation table to the resource information table (i.e. mapping rows to fields) or transform the resource information table then map fields such that the resources displayed in chart can be filtered by department? 
    Annotation 2020-05-08 032702.jpg
  3. Is there a more efficient/better method of achieving this?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @liyanc,

#1,  For your scenario, I do not so recommend you to change your table structure, new structure not suitable for your requirement.

In my opinion, I'd like to suggest adding a calculated column to concatenate 'date' and 'resource name' fields to these tables.  Then you can create a calculated table with merged concatenate fields as a bridge to link two tables.

Calculated column:

Resource Date =
Table[TimeByDay] & "-" & Table[ResourceName]

Calculated table:

Bridge =
ADDCOLUMNS (
    DISTINCT (
        UNION ( VALUES ( Table1[Resource Date] ), VALUES ( Table2[Resource Date] ) )
    ),
    "TimeByDay", PATHITEM ( SUBSTITUTE ( [Resource Date], "-", "|" ), 1 ),
    "ResourceName", PATHITEM ( SUBSTITUTE ( [Resource Date], "-", "|" ), 2 )
)

After these steps, you can simply use bridge table fields to analytic records between two tables.

Relationship in Power BI with Multiple Columns 

#2, You can link the detailed information table with the bridge table 'ResourceName' field.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @liyanc,

#1,  For your scenario, I do not so recommend you to change your table structure, new structure not suitable for your requirement.

In my opinion, I'd like to suggest adding a calculated column to concatenate 'date' and 'resource name' fields to these tables.  Then you can create a calculated table with merged concatenate fields as a bridge to link two tables.

Calculated column:

Resource Date =
Table[TimeByDay] & "-" & Table[ResourceName]

Calculated table:

Bridge =
ADDCOLUMNS (
    DISTINCT (
        UNION ( VALUES ( Table1[Resource Date] ), VALUES ( Table2[Resource Date] ) )
    ),
    "TimeByDay", PATHITEM ( SUBSTITUTE ( [Resource Date], "-", "|" ), 1 ),
    "ResourceName", PATHITEM ( SUBSTITUTE ( [Resource Date], "-", "|" ), 2 )
)

After these steps, you can simply use bridge table fields to analytic records between two tables.

Relationship in Power BI with Multiple Columns 

#2, You can link the detailed information table with the bridge table 'ResourceName' field.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.