Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Charticulator :Datetime in X-axis does not relate to plotting area and displays a different date

Hi Everyone, 

i am trying charticulator and facing below issue , kindly help 

This is simple tetsing data 

Jayanthan_G_0-1649481878955.png

Range starts from 7/4/2022 6am - 8/4 /2022 5 am 

Please find below the chart , how does 06/04/2022 displayed ? and range is different . The plot area looks correct but X-axis do not related to the data 

Kindly note i have tried categorical, Temporal. same for all .

Jayanthan_G_1-1649482200255.png

7 REPLIES 7
malpani
Helper I
Helper I

@dm-p : could you please help, how can I show Month/Year on X axis. charticulator create Year, Month, Day etc from Date column but can year and month to show it on X axis.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Use D3 formatting like {%m/%d/%Y} in format x axis 

Time Formatting - D3 wiki (d3-wiki.readthedocs.io)

Hi @Anonymous 

Thanks for your quick reply. 

However, I am using Charticulator for the first time and I could not understand where I can use this D3 formatting mentoned in Charticulator. 

Do I need to use this in Plot Segment, X axis Attribute - field 'Data' ?

Currently field 'Data' has this code - first(date.year(`Approval Date`))

So, it showing only year on X axis. How can change it show concatenated Year Month.

malpani_0-1672813453055.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jayanthan_G_0-1672814098900.png

Use like this %Y-%m or as you like 

dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

For date/time fields that are added to the visual, Charticulator should indicate it's a temporal type with an icon, e.g.:

dmp_1-1649720263605.png

I notice that this is missing from your XSTART field in your screenshot. Can you confirm that your field is explicitly typed as Date/Time in your Power BI data model? This is usually enough for Charticulator to assign a numerical axis with temporal properties if you drag it to the appropriate axis on your plot segment, e.g.:

dmp_2-1649720476709.png

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply! First thing i used is temporal only 

I did found the issue, Charticulator coverting the datetime to -8 hrs. Probably its due to my locale which is GMT8 so it is converting to GMT is my assumption. As of now i am controlling this in data model by adding +8 hrs which is not the correct way 

I am searching for a D3 date format to use in tick format which results in GMT8 timings , please let me know if you are across it 

Glad you have a handle on the issue. I typically work with dates rather than date + time, so I don't have any solid advice here.

To manage an offset via Charticulator may be tricky using just a format specifier. IIRC, the %Z specifier allows you to parse an offset, but it might not adjust it - I'm not sure if this will help at all?

Given the need to sometimes provide 'design' or 'display' measures to give Charticulator specific data points to work from (much like you might use for conditional formatting of visual titles etc.), offsetting via DAX is not necessarily a bad thing, provided that it's clear what the measure or column is being used for. However this will depend on your modelling policies, and I appreciate this may not be an option for you.

If you need to handle transformation of data in-visual, another possibility may be Deneb; this is lower-level than Charticulator but as Vega & Vega-Lite have their own expression language, they have support for handling offsets as part of their transform functionality.

Good luck,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.