Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dramirezkon
Frequent Visitor

Change database connection out of PowerBI Desktop for PowerBI report embeded on .NET application

I am writing to you because I have a situation in the company where I work and I have not been able to find documentation to guide me to the solution.

I developed dashboards in PowerBI with a database for development and testing that is hosted in our development environment. However, to deploy the dashboard in production it must be changed the connection and it must be done by our customer because they are the owners of the data and for security reasons only they can do it.

Now, we have had many difficulties with this, from sending them the Desktop .pbix file to being able to make the connection change in Desktop because of our client's security settings.

The specific question is,  it's possible to make a database connection change without the need to do it in the .pbix file? The dashboard is embedded in the application (which is .NET) and the embed code is updated through a .config file. Is it possible to configure the database connection in a .config file for PowerBI?

Thanks for your time.

1 REPLY 1
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dramirezkon ,

If I understand correctly, you would like to change the data source of the report which is embedded in .NET application. And due to the client's security settings, it must be done by your customer in the application side. Base on my research, I'm afraid that there is no good method to update the data source of Power BI dataset in the application side...

Please review the following links, and check if they can be used as an workaround...

1. Change Data Source Settings

Power BI - Change Data Source Settings

yingyinr_1-1670219358560.png

2. By Power Query parameter

Change the Source of Power BI Datasets Dynamically Using Power Query Parameters

yingyinr_0-1670219261561.png

3. Using XMLA endpoints

Using XMLA endpoints to change data sources in a Power BI dataset

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.