Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rh90210
Regular Visitor

Change From Import Mode to Direct Query (SQL Server Database)- SUCCESS STORY /working with Dual Mode

Hello,

I wanted to share with you a solution on how you could change a connection (SQL Server Database in my case) from import/dual to direct query in a report with no need to recreate tables, measures, relationships and such.

First of all, kudos to radacad (https://radacad.com/exposing-m-code-and-query-metadata-of-power-bi-pbix-file) from where I got an insight on exploring a pbix file. Apart from that I have devised this way myself so sorry if I repated someone's post. I couldn't find anything useful online for my case.

Instructions:

1) Export your pbix report to a template (it will save all features and visuals of your report so don't worry). You will get a pbit file.

1.PNG

2) Change the pbit file extension to zip.

3) From an archive pull out two files: DataMashup, DataModelSchema.

4) Edit the DataMashup file (I used Notepad++) and replace a string "IsDirectQuery" Value="l0" with "IsDirectQuery" Value="l1" for all desired tables/queries.

Example:

</Item><Item><ItemLocation><ItemType>Formula</ItemType><ItemPath>Section1/Product</ItemPath></ItemLocation><StableEntries><Entry Type="IsPrivate" Value="l0" /><Entry Type="IsDirectQuery" Value="l0" /><Entry Type="NavigationStepName" Value="sNavigation"

5) Edit the DataModelScgema file. Replace a string  "mode": "import" or "mode": "dual" with "mode": "directQuery" for all desired tables/queries (should be aligned with tables/queries from the fourth point).

Example :

"partitions": [
{
"name": "Product-17398375-891d-4c0f-bc87-a201e584788f",
"mode": "directQuery",
"state": "ready",

6) Overwirte both files in the zip file with edited ones and change the extension of the zip file back to pbit.

7) Open the pbit file. Deny if asked to apply changes. Go to Edit queries and press Refresh all.

😎 Exit the Edit queries window and save your file as a pbix report.

9) Press Refresh in a main window.

You should have all desired tables/queries switched to Direct Query preserving measures and relationships.

I hope you would be as successfull as I was.

Regards,

Radoslaw Hagno

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.