Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Shri
Frequent Visitor

Cascading parameter in report builder is very slow in service

I am rebuilder a PBI report on report buiders and it requires 6 levels of cascading parameters. Until 2 levels Region - State, the report has no performance issues, however beyond that , Region- State- City, the report is too slow. The DAx queries that I am using , all have used filter function to remove the Blanks/ null values from each of the parameters. Does cascading parameter make report performance slow in Report Builder? How can I improve the performance with cascading parameters? Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Shri,

I think it might be one reason for the performance issue.

For cascading filters, they not only affect themselves but also affect the previous and the next level filters. (these operations will trigger to send queries and update the binding data source for many times and may also iterate trigger the same operations on the next level filters)
If this is a case, it means they will send multiple queries of different filters at the same time to update their items and iterate the next level with the same operations.

Since the next level filter required the previous level selections as the parameter into the sent queries.  These operations weren't able to parallel processing and there will await until the previous operations finished to continue the processes on current and next level filters.

Use cascading parameters in paginated reports#recommendations 

I hope these descriptions can help to clarify your scenarios.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Shri,

I think it might be one reason for the performance issue.

For cascading filters, they not only affect themselves but also affect the previous and the next level filters. (these operations will trigger to send queries and update the binding data source for many times and may also iterate trigger the same operations on the next level filters)
If this is a case, it means they will send multiple queries of different filters at the same time to update their items and iterate the next level with the same operations.

Since the next level filter required the previous level selections as the parameter into the sent queries.  These operations weren't able to parallel processing and there will await until the previous operations finished to continue the processes on current and next level filters.

Use cascading parameters in paginated reports#recommendations 

I hope these descriptions can help to clarify your scenarios.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.