Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Brijesh
Frequent Visitor

Capacity Calculation

Hi,

I'm fairly new to PBI. Please help me with greater detail.

Background:

In my organisation, we need to measure people's (across Australia) contribution. In order to do that we are capturing all task that they are completing on a daily basis. Each different task has allocated different time to it. In order to obtain their contribution, "Total time to complete all task" would be our Numerator.

In order to calculate contribution, we are required to know their capacity as well. A full time employee is working 7.5 hours a day. However, we need to exclude all leaves (annual leave, sick leave), all public holidays and weekends. Capacity would be our Denominator.

Current Process:

Currently we have calculated a flat % of all leaves and weekend portion and bring employee's working commitment down from 100% to say 60%! This 60% is then applied to their full capacity (7.5 hours) which brings their full time capacity for a day down to 4.5 hours for a day!

Current process Example: 

(A) Measure to calculate capacity =

CALCULATE(sum(Date_Tbl[IfWorkday]))*SUM(Employee[60% of Full Capacity])

(B) Measure to sum total time spent on tasks = 

CALCULATE(SUM('TBL SRs'[Timing(mins)]),'TBL SRs'[Task Name] = "Changing Client Details")

Measure to get contribution = DIVID(A,B,0)

Problem:

Above percentage calculation is based on a full year. However the issue is when management is looking at a quarter or even a month data how their staff is performing is not giving them an accurate picture as if we take a month example, there is not all public holiday falls within that month or not all leaves have been taken into that month and not all weekends (52) falls into that one month! So, looking at month or even quarter level view is not an ideal with this calculation as it's not flexible enough! I have a date table with column called "IsWorkDay" (value 0 or 1), to pick if a given date is a weekday or weekend? I can incorporate public holiday in the same way but people sometime works on the weekends (obviously they are not oblige to do so) and completed their task during weekend, this will not capture as part of their total effort as the system date stamp whenever they complete the task!

Desire solution:

I would like to consider all leaves, holidays and weekends to calculate their capacity but would like to include all works that has completed even they are not at work!

Sorry for long post but I though providing more detail would give greater understanding of the issue which leads to a quick solution!

Looking forward to getting help on this.

Thanks,

Brijesh

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.