Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cant authenticate as a user with Postman (400 error)

I posted this as a reply in another thred while it should have been a new post, sorry!

So I am trying to use the PBI API via REST requests done by Postman. All of these requests will be done by a service account with a PowerBI Pro license (currently my account for testing purposes) which will copy/modify workspaces so that we can automate the workspace creation process.

I know the credentials are working because I can log with them on the PowerBI website and I can make API calls using a Python API library (which unfortunately does not have all the required end points, hence me using Postman).

So, when I try to authenticate using Postman, I am getting this:

{
    "error": "invalid_grant",
    "error_description": "AADSTS70002: Error validating credentials. AADSTS50126: Invalid username or password\r\nTrace ID: 3094c744-940a-42ff-ad1f-acb1ad2c3b00\r\nCorrelation ID: 3300c98a-f742-4664-850a-ef04b6032244\r\nTimestamp: 2018-10-19 12:22:37Z",
    "error_codes": [
    ],
    "timestamp": "2018-10-19 12:22:37Z",
    "trace_id": "3094c744-940a-42ff-ad1f-acb1ad2c3b00",
    "correlation_id": "3300c98a-f742-4664-850a-ef04b6032244"
}

My request:

POST https://login.microsoftonline.com/common/oauth2/token

and the payload:

grant_type: password
client_id: {{client_id}}
resource: https://analysis.windows.net/powerbi/api
scope: openid
username: {{username}}
password: {{password}}

From what I have seen in the forum, this _should_ work. Has something changed recently that breaks this way of authentication? If there something wrong with my account?

4 REPLIES 4
NEbdf
Frequent Visitor

Sorry, no solution here. But I am having the same issue since over half a year. Only the C# demo of MS seemed to work, nothing else. Would love to hear of someone getting the Token API working in Postman.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I managed to make it work by asking my azure sysadmin to create a service account and making this account the owner of the app. I dont understand why it would make it different than using my own credentials (with me as owner) but apparently, it does because now I can log via password... 

Do you maybe have some more detailed informations regarding that service account and how it is created? I would like to ask my Azure Admin too for that, but might have to point in the right direction. Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

AFAIK, the sysadmin registered the powerbi app,  then created a normal user and assigning the user as the owner of the registered PowerBI app, and also granting the permission to the app (something I was not able to do when I was the one registering the app).

Hope it helps

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.