Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cpassuel
Frequent Visitor

Cannot install SSL certificate

Hello,

When I try to install SSL certificates (I had to create them manually because pbiviz --create-cert didn't worked) with pbiviz --install-cert and I recieve the following error message:

The string is missing the terminator: '.
    + CategoryInfo          : ParserError: (:) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : TerminatorExpectedAtEndOfString

I checked on the forum and I have to clue where the error can be. Does someone already encounter this problem and how to solve it ?

PS: I'm using Windows 7 64bits.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Since you have generated a certificate you should put it to a proper directory as described here.

If pbiviz --install-cert does not work for you you can try to install a certificate manually as described here.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Looks like there're some issues with PowerShell. What version of PowerShell is installed?

What issues did return --create-cert command?

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Hello,

I'm using the version belown of PowerShell ( from $PSVersionTable.PSVersion)
Major  Minor  Build  Revision
-----  -----  -----  --------
3      0      -1     -1

I think that the problem with pbiviz --create-cert is that %APPDATA% has space in it. Here is the error message

req: Use -help for summary.
 error  Create certificate error: { Error: Command failed: openssl  req -newkey  rsa:2048 -nodes -keyout C:\Données d'applications\cpassuello\npm\node_modules\powerbi-visuals-tools\certs\PowerBICustomVisualTest_private.key -x509  -days 180 -out C:\Données d'applications\cpassuello\npm\node_modules\powerbi-visuals-tools\certs\PowerBICustomVisualTest_public.cer  -subj "/CN=localhost"
req: Use -help for summary.
    at checkExecSyncError (child_process.js:601:13)
    at execSync (child_process.js:641:13)
    at createCertFile (C:\Données d'applications\cpassuello\npm\node_modules\powerbi-visuals-tools\bin\pbiviz.js:160:25)
    at Command.<anonymous> (C:\Données d'applications\cpassuello\npm\node_modules\powerbi-visuals-tools\node_modules\commander\index.js:395:35)

When I try to create manualy certificates with the command line used by pbiviz and adding quotes (see below), it works ok

openssl req -newkey rsa:2048 -nodes -keyout "C:\Données d'applications\cpassuello\npm\node_modules\powerbi-visuals-tools\certs\PowerBICustomVisualTest_private.key" -x509 -days 180 -out "C:\Données d'applications\cpassuello\npm\node_modules\powerbi-visuals-tools\certs\PowerBICustomVisualTest_public.cer" -subj "/CN=localhost"

May be it's the same problem with pbiviz --install-cert (space in %APPDATA%). Unfortunately I cannot change this easily, it's a corporate policy.

PS: I reverted to powerbi-visuals-tools version 1.11.3 after reading some posts but it didn't fixed the problem

PPS: I installed OpenSSL because I'm on Windows 7 but it seems to work fine.

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Since you have generated a certificate you should put it to a proper directory as described here.

If pbiviz --install-cert does not work for you you can try to install a certificate manually as described here.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

I finally ended by installing certificate manually.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors