cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nath_BI Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Can you embed reports from Power BI Report Server?

Hi all,

I also wonder about this. Do we need Azure when embedding Power BI or can we use different capacity?

Thanks!

SkinnyPete63 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

@Nath_BI - I appreciate this is an old thread, but the answer is you do not need Azure provided your report server and your web server can communicate with one another.  I have just successfully embeded one of my reports on a web page;

<iframe width="1000" height="700" src="http://my-server:myport/Reports/powerbi/myreportname?rs:embed=true" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

The "rs:embed=true" is crucial, without it the request gets knocked back by the report server.

Hope this helps.

greatzt Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

@SkinnyPete63 Does your soluation work for external customers?

Highlighted
SkinnyPete63 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

No, because users have to be authenticated against AD.  I suppose you could create a dummy AD account and provide the credentials to the external customer.  I don't really like that approach though, maybe someone else has found a way to allow anonymous access?

greatzt Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

@SkinnyPete63 Thank you for so quick response.

TedPattison
Advisor

Just to be clear, Power BI embedding and embedding reports using Power BI Report Server are completely different technoclogies. The Power BI Service in the cloud provides an API for retreiving embedding reports, dashboards and tiles and for retreive embed tokens. This server-side API is complimented by a client-side JavaScript API that provides developers with rich functionality to create interactive pages with embedded reports which allows users to navigate between report page, set filters and apply bookmarks. None of this functionality is available with Power BI Report Server which has a completely different set of APIs which have been carried over from SQL Server Report Server.

Power BI Report Server just provides a simple iframe approach to embed a report on a web part, This style of embedding is incredibly thin compared to Power BI embedding in the cloud.

rvcedd Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

This is great explanation - thank you for this.