Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JZT
Frequent Visitor

Can we increase the PBI REST API request limit beyond 200/hour?

Hi,

As per the title, is there a way to increase the PBI REST API request limit beyond 200 per hour?

With Microsoft removing the ability to get object users from GetGroupsAsAdmin (via $expand), it seems like the 200 requests per hour limit is incredibly low.

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
vickyw
Helper I
Helper I

Hi, we have approx 600+ workpaces and 3600 reports. I'd like to run some powershell commands to export lists of all workspaces, apps, reports, dashboards etc to CSV, buts it's timing out after 200 results. Is there any way to get round this? Or is there anything way to get an overview of all our content? Thanks

JZT
Frequent Visitor

Hi @vickyw ,

There are two ways I've been using for this kind of thing, either PowerShell commandlet directly (Get-PowerBIWorkspace) or via a (I think) more direct REST API calll (Invoke-PowerBIRestMethod) and building the URL manually from the base of "https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/admin/groups".

The important thing is they both allow you to get Workspaces and related items with parameters, including reports, dashboards, datasets, dataflows and workbooks. Both ways return everything you would need in a single call. The only time you need more than 1 call is if you go over the 5000 Workspace limit which will then require paging your results.

For Invoke-PowerBIRestMethod make the call with "$expand=reports,dashboards,datasets,dataflows,workbooks". Here's a link to the doco.

For Get-PowerBIWorkspace make the call with "-Include All". Here's a link to the doco.

Getting a list of Apps is a seperate calls, it is not yet included in the expand list. See this link for the API call.

Note: If you want to get a list of users, that will need to be done one workspace / report / etc. at a time. See this link for a short discussion.

Hope this helps.

Edit: fixed links and order of examples.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JZT,

AFAIK, power bi seems not able to increase the limit amount of rest API usages.

For these limitations, you can take a look at the following docuemnt to know more about them:

Power BI REST API limitations - Power BI | Microsoft Docs
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.